free renderman is out

yes SESI should make an effort to have a much better documentation and learning materials for mantra

The new Removing Noise section seems a big step in the right direction.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/render/noise

It still seems that a basic grasp of statistics, i.e. variance,  will endlessly help though with rendering, though not everyone seems to like this method :)

Understanding “variance” intuitively

http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-deviation.html

Edited by tar

Although I agree with getting third party renderers into Indie; why can't people who buy GPU's, other renderers to improve their rendering options and performance, also afford to purchase the commercial license of Houdini?

Well, Octane full license is 459€ and a decent GPU might run around 600€ (not the best one, but good enough). That´s something a freelance can probably afford. I would say 4500$ is about three times that price which isn´t that easy for a freelance depending on the kind of projects that he/she gets (plus regular expenses of course).

Well, Octane full license is 459€ and a decent GPU might run around 600€ (not the best one, but good enough). That´s something a freelance can probably afford. I would say 4500$ is about three times that price which isn´t that easy for a freelance depending on the kind of projects that he/she gets (plus regular expenses of course).

Does one GPU in Octane give you much improvement compared to Mantra? In my tests so far, no.

Edit: Don't get me wrong - I want Octane to be fast, I have been asking them for integration into other packages like Nuke since they were Refractive Software in Jan 2012  :) Their offices are just across the bridge here in Auckland.

Edited by tar

You don't have to convince SESI, just buy the full Houdini license. Convince them with money, your own (muhaahaa)...

Anyway, Renderman is not actually "free". You can't use it in your client work unless you purchase it. You may as well use 3Delight if you are on a budget. Their license allows client work from the 4 CPU only demo.

Edited by Atom

Cool, I just visited the 3Delight site and noticed it was bumped up to 8 cores. I also noticed that their claim for Houdini support points to a non existent thread here on odforce.

Edited by Atom

3Delight is enabled via the Preferences, full Houdini commercial version.

New shaders have to be written to support the latest version though.

post-8321-0-03662000-1427746899_thumb.pn

Edited by tar