Modo 901 volumes/dynamics sneak peaks

Guest tar

The Foundry are dropping Modo 901 sneak peaks. If you log into the Foundry forums you can see them in the Direct Connect  section.

So far there's mud, dynamic shattering, volume rendering with openvdb etc.  Good times, good times.

Modo looks good but my problem with it is that it is seaten beetween the blender chair and the maya chair , and i can't see how it could compete with both on price / feature ratio.

- in blender you have very advanced modeling + quick lookdev for free

- in maya you get an extremely complete package for 1470$ per year

For industrial design / modeling i can see a niche for modo , but his GL viewport abilities disqualify it directly against maya for my needs.

But those vdb stuff looks good !

Edited by sebkaine

Modo is being integrated with Nuke with a GoZ style data-transfer system; essentially Foundry are developing an eco-system; that'll be where the power will lie. 

"per year"...

well Modo cost is :

- 1799$ for a new seat

- 695$ for an update

as update are close to a per year cycle cost is still high.

modo price was around 790$ before foundry buy it.

i still think modo is overprice for what it brings except if you are an industrial designer or product designer

who need very performant and precise modeling tools and great fast lookdev.

the fact that you can rent maya license per month is still imo a killing factor for flexibility

when you just need 10 more license for a short period of crunch time.

maya offer far more tools for less than *2 price for vfx / games / animation workflow imo !

but again the killing factor for modo is

- OpenGL abilities

- number of geometry supported in the viewport 

one feature that would have been ACE in modo is a PBR viewport like substance / marmoset integrated.

Edited by sebkaine

Guest mantragora

- 695$ for an update

as update are close to a per year cycle cost is still high...

Update is 3 times less than Maya per year. Renting Maya per month is 239,85 €. Three months and you got full Modo update.

I would need to add to the price of Maya also couple plugins (at least renderer) so I really can't see any pluses in going that road.

For a quarter you can rent Creation Collective (Modo, Mari, Hiero Player) for 550 €. That's two and a half month of renting only Maya without plugins.

Beside it, I got one complicated tool in my workflow, Houdini, so adding Maya solves exactly nothing for me. I need something that is fresh and doesn't get on my nerves to much.

...  one feature that would have been ACE in modo is a PBR viewport like substance / marmoset integrated.

I'm not sure how viewport will look in Modo 901, but new rendering engine will have Disney inspired PBR http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=4&t=107595&p=919255&page=3

Without replying to each post in detail, let me just say that I think the new physically based shading model will satisfy most of the concerns being discussed. It's inspired by the Disney paper mentioned earlier, in which they tried to match the appearance of a large database of real measured materials. So it can be considered general purpose, but also easier to use, with fewer parameters than MODO's previous shading models (which were enhanced versions of Blinn-Phong when Conserve Energy was off, or Ashikhmin-Shirley when Conserve Energy was on). The two older models are still available for compatibility, but I expect most people will just use the new one from now on.

Edited by mantragora

well maybe the fact that i've use maya for 10 years biased my pov a little ... :)

but after trying to drop Maya for Blender and then Modo , i return to Maya especially for his HLSL / OpenGL Viewport.

Cheers

E

Edited by sebkaine

Yeah, about 901.... It supports openvdb 2 and Houdini 14 is now on openvdb 3, so that won't work. Houdini 13 should perform fine, I believe.

Why wouldn't the HOUDINI13_VOLUME_COMPATIBILITY env var work?

• 1 month later...

Yeah - the bugs look relatively bad currently, in light of the super-marketing, but The Foundry's opaqueness isn't helping; which then begets artists smearing the dev team with irrelevant and technically incompetent comparisons.