Moloch the short movie

symek

Hi guys and gals!

With a bit of hesitation as it's not strictly 3d work, but I finally decided to share with you friends some bits about a project I was working on for a last couple of years. It's a life action film, but with a drop of Houdini involved for effects animation (single one) and (!) partial color correction done in COPs (for a good reason). Post production was done in Warsaw by my beloved Human Ark studio. The film was made in a steel factory on Ukraine. It took us a whole year of scouting and casting, next summer for shooting, and 14 months for postproduction (not to mention two years of script development...).

All actors are Ukrainians (film is in Russian) and I have to say I had never worked with better actors. Most of a brave film crue were Polish with the exeption for great stantmen team from Kiev. Full credits are on the website bellow. This was my dream work. Talents, locations, colaborators starting from a DoP (Jacek Podgórski) to the editor (Paweł Laskowski - one of the best in Poland who had this crazy idea to help debiutant with his film).

I'm putting online a tiny trailer with a gleams of what is inside. Today afternoon there is a Polish premiere on 55. Cracow Film Festival, but later this year Munk Studio will publish a DVD with a set of Polish shorts packed together. Finally the film will be avaiable free online (hard to say when though). In a meantime you might be able to see Moloch on some film festival near by. I hope you'll like it :)
Szymon. 

The traler:

The page:

post-744-0-97820100-1433504980_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Guest mantragora

I like the look of it. Very refreshing after seeing over-processed shots from Hollywood movies. Reminds me Stalker game a lot. There was also full scale of lighting showed there, with dark nights no lit by artificial lights.

Can't say anything about the action yet, but from the teaser it already looks a lot more exciting than "Świteź".

This looks absolutely great ! cinematography looks very good , let us know where to watch the full movies !

some of the face portrait remind me the zona series from Carl de Keyzer

http://www.carldekeyzer.com/projects/zona

i am definitly curious to know how you find the time of being a houdini jedi , and to direct a movie at the same time ...

you are a cyborg symek ? you don't need to sleep ... that is your secret ?  :)

Cheers

E

Edited by sebkaine

It looks intriguing Symek, I wanna see it on the big screen :) Your hard work shines though the film.

Will there be a bluray release?

Thank you very much! I don't know anything about bluray release, but yes, my heart bleeds when I see it in PAL, especially that it took us some efforts to make it from start to finish in 4K.

This looks absolutely great ! cinematography looks very good , let us know where to watch the full movies !

some of the face portrait remind me the zona series from Carl de Keyzer

http://www.carldekeyzer.com/projects/zona

i am definitly curious to know how you find the time of being a houdini jedi , and to direct a movie at the same time ...

you are a cyborg symek ? you don't need to sleep ... that is your secret ?  :)

Short answer is: that's why I am neither of them (jedi nor director) :)

Can you tell us  what are the "good reason" to use cop ?

I've used HDK + Houdini volume toolkit to make efficient wavelet decomposition of a 4K frames. 

Thanks guys for all kind words. I will inform on FB about festivals' schedule :)
Edited by symek

• 1 year later...

Just a heads up for people in London possibly interested in seeing Moloch. Two screenings on 25th of September and 2nd of October during Raindance Film Festival: 

http://calendar.raindancefestival.org/films/moloch

I intend to be there on one of the screenings (most probably second one), if anyone willing to participate in a beer contest :) 

cheers!