OctaneRender for Houdini plugin beta released

juanjgon

Hi,

OctaneRender for Houdini 2.2 beta is now available for all Houdini users at reduced price. The plugin will be updated on regular basis until reach the first stable production release.

The plugin supports all the Octane 2.2 features inside Houdini, and a lot of the Houdini tools, like instancing, fur, tessellated primitives, any kind of polygonal surfaces from simulations, like fluids, etc. And this is only the beginning, more features are planned for the next 2.x beta releases.

The plugin is currently available for Houdini and Houdini FX 14.0 for Windows x64 and Linux gcc4.8. OctaneRender for Houdini currently doesn’t work in Houdini Apprentice and Houdini Indie because they do not support third party renderers. We can provide the plugin for Houdini 13.0 by request if there is a studio working with this version. 

This is the plugin online documentation:

And a brief tutorial with the first steps with the plugin:

The registered users have access to the plugin support forum to post all the bugs, the feature request and the amazing images and animations made with OctaneRender:

Thanks to all the closed beta testers and to SideFX for their support in this project !!!

-Juanjo

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hey Juanjo - I tried to log in and post in the Otoy forum but it appears you need to own a license? I'm currently testing the latest beta so I'm not sure if this is a user error, fixed in the latest licensed releases or a bug.  

The attached file can't seem to render more than one frame, it gets stuck trying to render to MPlay. I've successfully rendered animations before so I'm not sure why this doesn't work. Mantra will render this fine.

H14.0.361, Win 7, Plugin 2.23.2.4, Octane 2.23.2, Gtx 980, Driver 355.60.0.0

Thanks again for your excellent work!

ClothedStuckFrame1.hip

Hi Marty,

I am not sure, but yes, perhaps you only can post in the Octane plugins forums if you have a commercial license. I will ask. Anyway anybody can contact with me at juanjo@genesisvisual.com

If you are working with the demo version, your plugin build is a bit outdated. The current commercial beta build is the 2.24.0.0 that has a lot of bugs fixed. I am now in a short vacation until Sep 7, so I will try to update the demo to the last build as soon as possible next week. 

Anyway tomorrow I will test you file here to know if it has a problem not fixed yet in the last commercial build.

-Juanjo

Marty, your scene seems to render without problems here using the last commercial build, but I don't have the texture file used in the object. Perhaps the problem is the  texture file, but I think that this is probably a bug fixed along the last commercial builds.

As soon as Otoy release the demo version of the Octane 2.24 builds, I will also update the Houdini plugin demo.

-Juanjo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello there, I know this is very old topic but this came up on me while searching about Octane render for houdini...

We are using quadro K6000 and some workstations has quadro K6000 + Tesla. So, we are planning to buy new graphic cards for our vfx department but we are between K6000 or Titan Z. So, do you guys have an idea about which one is better for Octane Render?

Because Tatan Z is better for GPU simulations. We made some tests here. Quadro K600 gives error sometimes while simulating pyro from GPU. And even if there is no error and finish the simulation, Titan Z is faster than the k6000. This way do you guys have an idea about rendering with Titan Z???

Thanx.

i would never give my money to nvidia for a bunch of optimised drivers (that actually rarely work better ...) so quadro doesn't sound good imo.

if you want the best bang for your buck i will not go for titan either , but buy 4 * 980Ti and a 4 slot motherboard.

the next octane release will bypass the vram limit of your GPU so only the number of CUDA cores / per dollar will really matter.

and in this area 970 and 980 Ti are the best bang for your buck.

i copy paste my price chart :

GPU     Price      Core     Ram    Price / Core
970      360    /   1664     4go     0.21
980      549    /   2048     4go     0.26
980 ti   700    /   2816     6go     0.24
titan     1200  /   3072    12go    0.39

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 2

If next Octane gonna bypass vram , to keep Tesla must be good idea actually.

We have 4 Tesla in the department and were thinking about to give them another department and buy Titan Z to all but if they will bypass VRAM and will go with Code Cores , to keep all Teslas and get few more will be better idea. BUt we sure know that Quadros need to change. I dont know if people using Quadro for simulatin Pyro or Fluid so that is not really really fast than CPU...

We have Intel Xeon E5 (32 CPUs) and according to that CPU , GPU simulation is not really faster. This way we wanna try Titan Z or 980ti

Thank you for informations sebkaine

I am not a hardware nerds but imo quadro only show their interest when you are working on scene with insane numbers of poly , in this scenario OpenGL can take advantage of the quadro features.

But it's only useful to display geo in the viewport. For computation i might BS you but i'm quite sure the extra price is not justify regarding GPU rendering. so whatever path you take stick with GTX for computation.

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 1

The cool config is really when you have 4 GTX 980 Ti in one machine cause you really reduce the number of machines needed.

with 2 machines with 4* 980Ti i think you start to have what we could call a GPU farm. The big plus is that you pay only 2 licenses instead of 8.