grouping particles based on color

Lukich

Hello there. I was playing around with emmiting the particles using the COPs reference to transfer the colors to them. Then I tried to put all the particles with $CB==0 into a group and kill it. It works, but only partially. I guess, only about 4/5 of the particles gets killed right away, but I still have a number of particles poping up in random places only to disappear at the next frame. I'm pretty sure that they belong to the group of $CB==0, because the background of the image is pefectly black. Do you guys know how to overcome that? It's very disconcerting :(

Thanks a bunch!

Here's how it looks like:

post-115-1099276227.jpg

It depends on how your popnet is set up. Without seeing the network, I can't tell you why it doesn't work the way you want it to. Also, POPs is iterative which means particles' attributes & values are added from frame to frame so if you want something to happen on frame 100, you have to make sure the expression is executed on frame 99.

If I didn't explain the above clearly, I'll try again. :P

Cheers!

steven

Hey Luka,

It's the iterative nature of POPs that's causing the delay. Ondrej also mentioned it in his post over at the SESI forum.

As you've already found out, you can kill the particles at the SOP level. Alternatively, you can birth particles where there's colour or not. You can do this in the Source POP with the following expressions in the "Birth Probability" fields:

pic("../cop2net1/default_pic",$BBX,$BBY,D_CR)>0 || pic("../cop2net1/default_pic",$BBX,$BBY,D_CG)>0 || pic("../cop2net1/default_pic",$BBX,$BBY,D_CB)>0

If you only want to have particles where there's red or green, remove this "pic("../cop2net1/default_pic",$BBX,$BBY,D_CB)>0" from the expression.

Enjoy!

Cheers!

steven

also, it's good to write out your particles if you are at a point where your network is "done".. just throw your bgeo sequence somewhere and bring it back in through a file sop and delete the appropriate points then through whatever variable\attribute.. the advantage of this is a number of things: speed, accuracy (predictability wise), and the ability to scrub back and forth..

hth,

dave