Houdini 14.0.361 mantraSurface with UDIM texture

Jerome_K

Hi Folks

I m wondering if someones found a easy way to use Houdini 14.0.361 with a mantraSurface + UDIM texture.

I notice there are multiple way to do it and one of them are on youtube for Houdini 13 but I guess there is an easiest way to use the new feature in Houdini 14.0.361 with UDIM without any extra operation.

I saw we need to use TEXTURE.%(UDIM)d.tif  for the path but I didn't make it work.

Any help will be much appreciated

Cheers

J

post-14007-0-00794200-1436037715_thumb.p

From what I understand this "%(UDIM)d" is being replace by the proper digits with a vex function "expand_udim". Maybe the mantra surface has not been updated by sidefx to include this function. In the meantime, you can add a vex snippet in your shader that will convert the texture string on the fly if it finds this specific token.

Here's a example scene to show you what I mean. You will need to process the copnet to generate the 3 texture files. There is probably a simpler way to do this cause it feels a little hacky, but it works without too much of a pain.

Hope this helps.

udimWorkflow_v001.hip

• 5 months later...

I know I am a little late to the party but here is two methods I got to work..

jump into your shader and activate Udim filename expansion for whatever maps you need (spec, ref, diffuse etc) then inpunt $HIP/TEXTURENAME.%(UDIM)d.extension

the other thing you can do, is to put down a vertex wrangle and input @uv.x *=1/n (n being the number of udim tiles you have). this puts your uv in 0,1 tile space and then you can just stitch your maps together as one long map.

this can also be done for the uv.y if you have multiple y rows.

Cheers