Sign in to follow this  
supremeoh

trouble writing out .PC

Hey guys , 

So I'm following the cmivfx Directable particles in H14, and I'm having trouble in the beginning where I have to write out .PC files.  I keep getting a convert .i3d error message; And also when it does write when I try bringing the file back in nothing appears on the view port. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot. 

direct_particles_002.hipnc

It won't properly write out .pc files if there are still groups present on the geometry. Put a group SOP before your ROP output set to edit -> delete-> * and it should work.

Thanks for the help. It seems to be able to write out the .PC files now, but when I bring them back in with the file SOP and middle click on it. The nodes empty, there's no details or info. Each file written is only 1KB. I'm not really sure whats wrong now. Any advice?Thanks

Edited by supremeoh

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I'm having the exact same issue. I'd like to learn about point clouds but I'm utterly stuck on this step. Even tried assigning a shader with pcwrite but that would only write out a single file and overwrite it with each successive frame.

use .bgeo instead maybe?  the only time i've found .pc to be absolutely necessary is when using the pcopenlod() function in vex.  other than that, it seems like bgeo files work just fine.