Houdini 16 Wishlist

Render frame number on the Render Manager when using the background renderer, ie 'render frame 191 (191 of 800)'. It only shows percentage currently.  Rfe submitted.

I'm tired of fighting to get nuke license in vfx shop. That would be great if sesi could put some love in COPS, just to give us a good enough 2D comp tool that allow to ditch Nuke for 80% of our comp task.

- a good enough 2D track / stab tool

- optical flow tool  

- ofx support for frishluft / rsmb / neat

- cleaner color curves UI 

- better hue curves UI 

- cleaner color correct UI with low/mid/high tone color wheel

- some photographic noise / LUT tool like the one you find in octane would be nice

I know i could use natron or fusion but those tool aren't mainstream, keeping all inside H would be nice ...

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sebkaine said:

That would be great if sesi could put some love in COPS, just to give us a good enough 2D comp tool that allow to ditch Nuke for 80% of our comp task.

Also with H being so high in the forefront of most people radar as an FX package it seems like a no brainer to give it some strong comping tools. I don't need Nuke for my everyday needs but it feels so foreign having to learn little portions just for simple things like comping little dailies/turntables etc. Much more comfortable in H. 

Edited by abvfx

@marty well just basic stuff. :)

- a tracker node where you do the 2d track and store your tracks 

- a matchmove node where you can do matchmove and stab with

1 track -> T

2 tracks -> T + R

3 tracks -> T + R + S

you can animate your roto shape / you can stab a plate / you can connect grid distorsion point to a tracker   

Edited by sebkaine

well 3d tracker is useful Marty but to get this in Nuke you have to go NukeX which is twice the price of Nuke ...

compare to the extra 3000E the foundry ask i can have a PFTrack license @1400E which is far better imo !

my goal is just to be able to ditch nuke of my workflow and i'm prettry sure that COPS on steroid could do that ...

the VEX tools in COPS are just stellar for exemple you don't have that in Nuke ...

a solid 2D tracker to put COPS on the same level than shake 4.1 would be good enough imo ...

Edited by sebkaine

On 2016-12-15 at 4:24 AM, marty said:

@KardonnThe "Set display options for 'Display Model Geometry'" under Display Option Markers could do with a clean-up. Not so intuitive currently.

What specifically do you find unintuitive about it? There's quite a bit of information there, I'm curious what you'd like to see.

18 hours ago, malexander said:

What specifically do you find unintuitive about it? There's quite a bit of information there, I'm curious what you'd like to see.

I probably just need to play more with it but I'm not sure of the interrelationship of the left menu with the right menu,  and,  how the checkboxes relate.

Is it correct the 'Set display option for' menu is the setting you are using to choose the below checkboxes, but you can also use the 'Use' menu as an override? 

Edit: Testing shows these issues that add confusion, at least to me:

There is no option for selected scene geometry when the Handle/translate/rotate/scale tools are selected. It would be better to behave like the Selected Scene Geometry setting

The 'Set display options for' menu could be clearer what is Geometry level vs Scene level. A subheading would help.

Overall the help page would be improved with pictures.

Edit2: also add a line below 'Unique Settings', in the 'Use' menu to identify it separately from the other settings. There probably is a better way to lay it out overall but these types of changes would help.

Thx!

Edited by tar

It would be really nice if cloud noise could do something like this:

This person's solution works extremely well and is computationally inexpensive, but it's pretty substantial to set up from scratch.

BTW - if anyone knows if this person is on OdForce, I'd like to get in touch with him/her as for some reason Vimeo's message service doesn't seem to work right for me at the moment.

Edited by shawn_kearney

11 minutes ago, shawn_kearney said:

BTW - if anyone knows if this person is on OdForce, I'd like to get in touch with him/her as for some reason Vimeo's message service doesn't seem to work right for me at the moment.

Did you try emailing him? There's contact info on his website: http://www.neonjunkyard.com/about/

• Like 1

Should be soon - I downloaded an extension on Orbolt yesterday and was asked if I have Houdini 16 installed or want to download it. The link didn't work, but it looks as if the gears are already turning... :-)

Edit: there is also this Tweet: 

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Thomas Helzle
  • Like 1

like a sieve; H16 screenshots on Foundry community. Looks to be terrain stuff and viewport rulers

**** they're on the Foundry Forum until I can get them taken down...but I can take these down. - goldfarb

49 minutes ago, marty said:

**** they're on the Foundry Forum until I can get them taken down...but I can take these down. - goldfarb

sigh - guess when SideFx adopts an open beta methodology censorship will be consigned to the dustbin....

1 hour ago, marty said:

sigh - guess when SideFx adopts an open beta methodology censorship will be consigned to the dustbin....

it isn't censorship if it's a closed Beta.

All those who currently have access to H16 have made very specific agreements not to disclose any information about it publicly.

The fact that SideFX offers daily builds of Houdini makes it, in effect, a constant open beta - and means that users can get bug fixes and new features sometimes within a day or two of reporting them.

When a new version is being prepared for public release I don't think it's too much to ask to be given the courtesy of releasing it the way SideFX wants to.

• Like 1

@michael that's a bit silly - it's an AUP beta currently, not closed. It was closed, invite only, before December last year. 

Foundry are leading the way with this - all paying customers of Modo/Nuke have access to the latest beta - time to step it up SideFx.