Houdini 16 Wishlist

1 hour ago, marty said:

@michael that's a bit silly - it's an AUP beta currently, not closed. It was closed, invite only, before December last year. 

Foundry are leading the way with this - all paying customers of Modo/Nuke have access to the latest beta - time to step it up SideFx.

A non-paying customer is kind of an oxymoron, isn't it? ;)

Customers on AUP often use this time to adjust their pipeline to the new version - HDK plugins, scripts, shaders, etc. It's not an overly long period. It'd be one thing if they had access for the better part of a year, but often it's a few months at most.

Back to the Display Options -> Set display options for... there doesn't seem to be anything setting for Dops. i.e. I want to ghost/fade some VectorFieldVisualizer so I can see a FEM object clearer. It doesn't seem possible. See attached.

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 7.59.25 PM.png

DopsDisplayOption.gif

I would like to have a "chalk" tool in the network view to make notes or little diagrams or just visual comments/doodles. The background of the network view would behave as a blackboard.

I am often lost in trigonometry, relative voxel positions, vectors or anything ... and to keep it in my mind and solve the problem is hard.

We use Photoshop or paper, but imagine ... if you open the file after a month ... these visual comments may be better than words inside a sticky note. They would stay in place.

edit: It could also serve for education or debugging/sharing

Edited by ikoon
  • Like 4

This screen shot is from an old cloth video, possibly Houdini 11 or earlier.  Can we get some of these old features back into the current cloth solver?  Specifially I'd really like to be able to access the internal force attributes, so that they can be used to create other secondary effects, dynamically, such as tearing.  Plastic deformation would also be welcomed with open arms.

Attach9766_20170112_092940.png

8 minutes ago, loudsubs said:

This screen shot is from an old cloth video, possibly Houdini 11 or earlier.  Can we get some of these old features back into the current cloth solver?  Specifially I'd really like to be able to access the internal force attributes, so that they can be used to create other secondary effects, dynamically, such as tearing.  Plastic deformation would also be welcomed with open arms.

LOL  I'm pretty sure everybody has been asking for it back (the plastic deformation) ever since they took it out in 13 (?) or was it 12.5..?  

Edited by Solitude

@loudsubs

Forgive me if I am being a noob amongst experts, I'm assuming that you do know about setting the rest position to the current position in order to get FEM deformations to stick?

If not, take a look at the SOP solver is the file below. The file is from just mucking around, its a total mess, So if you have any questions feel free to ask. @dent is a custom attribute.

Being that getting deformations to stick like this is so trivial I'm not sure why plastic deformation is not just included as a parameter. You can also use Lerp() to get weird melty effects.

Barrel.zip

Edited by shawn_kearney
  • Like 1

When using FBX import that would be nice to :

- add the option to import material as principle shader

- currently when shader are assign by face in maya , houdini create a group and a sop material if there is at least 2 different shader assign, that would be nice , that 

houdini create the group and the material node even if there is only one shader, instead of assigning it in the transform node.

- having the ability to have a fbx loader where you load a path and where you can refresh to a new path without having to reimport all , like the .abc loader

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sebkaine said:

When using FBX import that would be nice to :

- add the option to import material as principle shader

I think it would be nice if somehow it could be given a template material, although figuring out the parameter mapping might get complicated.

3 hours ago, marty said:

@shawn_kearney does that work with an animated input? IIRC there are some limitations to that method.

Well if it doesn't that would sure put a damper on car crashes!

I figured there must have been something I wasn't seeing being that you folks who have been using Houdini for years are complaining about this.

@shawn_kearney hopefully I'm wrong but if you can get it to work - please post a solution up!  Diving into the Solidconfigue object - you can see a Soft Body Plasticity PropertyDOP named 'Plasticity Properties'.  It just doesn't get processed by the FEM... hopefully H16 :)

On 7/22/2016 at 5:01 PM, 3dome said:

alt + w ?

The current rename node window, can only add prefix or suffix. Not replace the whole text.

It's just one of those things you do all the time, but don't wanna point with your mouse and double-click to change.