Houdini 16 Wishlist

On 02/04/2017 at 7:32 PM, LaidlawFX said:

I don't know what you are talking about?

The visualers for attributes.  Making those readable at any resolution can be tough.  More visualers would be awesome.  Custom selection visualers, like say you have a copy sop set as the guide geometry for an hda and the user can select points,  this way you can show the user the end result of the selection instead of just the points. 

Or maybe just a call back for selections, since selecting doesn't cook the network.

And callbacks for parameter changes caused by handles would be incredibly useful too.

It's been announced! HOUDINI 16 February 21st, 2016!

You can kill me now, but the 17(16.5) wishlist has begun!

And as always please RFE and BUG, SideFX Support for any true request/issues. This is only an un-official wishlist, where we can compare notes, and rant and rave.

On 2/12/2017 at 2:45 AM, marty said:

So far I have had almost no interface-related issues, less than in H14, which was decent enough too. (I've skipped H15) :)

Also I'm not 100% H16 is actually using QT5, it could also be an earlier version.

i don't think QT5 is the cause because QT5 exist since 2012 so today it should be mature and stable. Whats also QT is one of the most used GUI Frameworks for C++ Developers. what could be is that there are some migration problems that aren't fixed or are hard to debug.

BTW: MAYA IS NOT HOUDINI ;)

thanks - yeah QT5 is in the slide at the end of the presentation. It'll be the specific use of it in Houdini, i.e. OpenGL throughout, that could cause issues. Good to hear it's working well!

@Erik_JE In 16? I just had it happen in H15.5.x, again with a SopSolver - my feeling is that if it isn't fixed soonish then there must be a big architectural problem as bug #58084 is submitted with exact steps to reproduce.