Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Alexey Vanzhula

Houdini 16 Wishlist

558 posts in this topic

Improving the stability over the H16+ releases- using the metrics gathered by the crash and anonymous usage statistics.  It's probably too early for H15 to be effectively using it thus far.

Adding Node names (with path would be nice) to the generated crashlog in the case of a crash.

+0xdbbb2e1b [OP_Node::internalCookInput]
+0xdbbb31a9 [OP_Node::lockInputs]
+0xd74cb62a [SOP_Node::lockInputs]
+0xd67540d6 [SOP_Texture::cookMySop]
+0xd74c3be1 [SOP_Node::cookMe]
+0xdbbb2069 [OP_Node::cook]

would ideally become something like:
+0xdbbb2e1b [OP_Node::internalCookInput]//<-- Node: obj/geo1/remesh1
+0xdbbb31a9 [OP_Node::lockInputs]//<-- Node: obj/geo1/remesh1
+0xd74cb62a [SOP_Node::lockInputs]//<-- Node: obj/geo1/remesh1
+0xd67540d6 [SOP_Texture::cookMySop]//<-- Node: obj/geo1/remesh1
+0xd74c3be1 [SOP_Node::cookMe]//<-- Node: obj/geo1/remesh1
+0xdbbb2069 [OP_Node::cook]//<-- Node: obj/geo1/remesh1

If we would actually know which node it tried to cook last, we could improve the stability on our side

At the moment hou.SceneViewer.enterCurrentNodeState() kill undo queue. It would be good to fix this behavior

If you consider this a bug, log it, instead of adding it to Wishlist.

If you consider this a bug, log it, instead of adding it to Wishlist.

I`m not sure it is a bug but tool system behavior

Edited by Alexey Vanzhula

I want english measurements using feet with fractions or feet with inches. just like it's done with lightwave. when you type 1 ' and 4 ", it will show in the object transformation. right now you can only do feet with decimal. i need to go to a google unit conversion webpage so i can get the right decimal measurement. 

Edited by treebucks
1 person likes this

I want english measurements using feet with fractions or feet with inches. just like it's done with lightwave. when you type 1 ' and 4 ", it will show in the object transformation. right now you can only do feet with decimal. i need to go to a google unit conversion webpage so i can get the right decimal measurement. 

forgive the sassy tone of the article:

http://www.zmescience.com/other/map-of-countries-officially-not-using-the-metric-system/

and I think it would only add opportunity for error to have to type the ' and " ...I know I'd make mistakes 100's of times a day....

1 person likes this

Improve node snapping to the grid.

Right now when you put a new node, after it lands, you have to move it slightly to snap it to the closest location.

houdini should be able to create a polygon from 4 points. at the moment you can create a polygon from 4 edges. why not from 4 points?

houdini should be able to create a polygon from 4 points. at the moment you can create a polygon from 4 edges. why not from 4 points?

AddSOP set to By Group?

PolyKnitSOP?

CreatePolygonSOP?

Improve node snapping to the grid.

Right now when you put a new node, after it lands, you have to move it slightly to snap it to the closest location.

In the network view press d, go to Grid and Snapping and you can adjust Grid Spacing, Grid Snap Gravity, Snap to Related Tiles, Horizontal Snap Gravity and Vertical Snap Gravity, also the display of the grid and where to snap onto the grid, middle side etc.

Nope, doesn't work, no matter what I change.

The defaults work all the time for me, except in shop/vops, which is how I originally came across the issue.

I don't even know how you could be doing that? I would file a bug with your computer setup. 

I do use lines as opposed to dots, and always have snap to related tiles off, if that helps.

The biggest issue I have is that when you blast something in the scene view pane every node shifts in the network pane, so you have to ctrl x, xtrl z, and ctrl v to make sure you stuff doesn't drift off the grid.

In addition you can create your own custom grid allocations if you want too, but I don't know of any known documentation, it was a standalone sesi class a while back. 

In addition you can create your own custom grid allocations if you want too, but I don't know of any known documentation, it was a standalone sesi class a while back. 

Hmm... any working examples you can share?

Hmm... any working examples you can share?

Nah it was the beginning of when I started learning python, my notes were copious of useless things. Somebody else may have it kicking about.

a render plugin from kerkythea, luxrender and mitsuba

Or Thea render :) It is good unbiased(biased) that use GPU. Imho it is more modern than kerkethea and many of other unbiased-like renderers

1954_Airstream-56-1200-1000-100.jpg

Edited by Alexey Vanzhula