Houdini 16 Wishlist

SESI had multi-selection in the Tree View working in the beta build of 15, but it caused a problem in selection speed at the time, so it was reverted. Hopefully it makes it's return soon.

And yes - I've heard from several people that they think it'll be a definite comfort zone for transplants if the Tree view could optionally show hierarchical relationships instead of the context depth, just like the Outliner. Multi-parent nodes like Blend, etc would probably be reset to the root level, as in Maya.

• Like 1

Add a Python ROP node that give the ability to execute Python inline code in ROP.

Exactly like the one coded by Graham.

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/24411-python-rop/

https://github.com/captainhammy/Houdini-Toolbox/tree/master/ROP/ROP_Script

I believe I'm looking at what you're talking about:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.0/nodes/sop/python

• 2 weeks later...

Can we select colors outside of the houdini window? In maya you can hold the picker icon down and then release it on a ref image and maya will save that color. Doesn't work in hou.

EDIT- Wow after 2 years , as soona s I posted this, I saw the show an image to choose colors from. It would still be more convenient to be able to do it without downloading images tho

Edited by alksndr

Can we select colors outside of the houdini window? In maya you can hold the picker icon down and then release it on a ref image and maya will save that color. Doesn't work in hou.

EDIT- Wow after 2 years , as soona s I posted this, I saw the show an image to choose colors from. It would still be more convenient to be able to do it without downloading images tho

If you MMB on the color rectangle of the parm you can drag anywhere on your monitors to sample a color.

• Like 1

An example HIP file for every node in the help.

Often when I am trying to learn a new node I go to the help card and there is no example. For instance, the Instance node has no example. I asked a question on this forum if using the Copy SOP was the same as instancing and the answer I got was yes. So why is there even an Instance node? I see another post that claims that instancing is faster than Copying yet there is not example file to show it's usage. I can't figure it out...

• Like 3

@Atom

well atom maybe there is a strategic part of the copy sop that i have miss. But even by using pack objects. The SOP instance node just kill the copy SOP in term of speed from my test.

i can copy 1.000.000 instance in a matter of seconds with the instance nodes. it take 1-5 minutes with the copy sops.

instance.hiplc

Edited by sebkaine

Thanks for the example file, I vote to included it in the H16 help for instancing.

Just one question, I'm not sure how the instance side actually functions? You are making up a new attribute called s@instance but in the Instance tab of the Instance object the field is called instancepath. What binds your made up attribute to the node's instancepath?

Edited by Atom

Well i have find nothing in the doc about this, and i have no rational explanation. I've fall on a hip that use this attribute.

The only thing i know is that if you want to use muliple instance you define the s@instance attribute and it works ;)

Thanks for the example file, I vote to included it in the H16 help for instancing.

Just one question, I'm not sure how the instance side actually functions? You are making up a new attribute called s@instance but in the Instance tab of the Instance object the field is called instancepath. What binds your made up attribute to the node's instancepath?

the instance obj node and the instance sop are two different things. the instance sop making use of packed primitives, which are easier to handle as using only the one instance shape in the instance obj..

see attached hipfile

instancing.hip

• Like 1