EA lawsuit

Marc

I love what I do. So I can see how people who feel the same way can get caught in that situation, kept hopeful by their passion for the work, promises and the hope that things might change. I guess at some point you have to draw a line in the sand and leave when you cross it.

Always sad to hear of people being exploited, highly skilled or not. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the EA case, and if it has any long term effect (the cynical part of me says "nope").

Always sad to hear of people being exploited, highly skilled or not. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the EA case, and if it has any long term effect (the cynical part of me says "nope").

14908[/snapback]

I doubt EA's reputation will ever recover from this bad press, no matter what they do to make amends. People already give up secondary interests in life even if they are made to work 10hr days, I find. With lunch hour and travel time and eating (what a waste of time THAT is), you'll be lucky to have 2 or 3 hours of your own time each day to do anything really alternative and interesting. Much of its spent decompressing. You can only survive if your job is your labour of love. It really incenses me to think that there are some people greedily rubbing their hands together, ready to wring that passion without compassion for the artist.

Another thing is. There are two kind of reactions, on cases such as these: Those of the people who don't know what this industry is about and think it's "computer jobs" and not intensive (whatsoever) and those who are understanding.

yea, this has been all over slashdot this past week.

those interested can check out these links (in order from oldest to newest):

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/11/11/0...59.shtml?tid=98

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/11/12/0537234.shtml?tid=123

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/11/13/2...&tid=187&tid=10

ironically my coworker just got an offer from EA just a couple weeks ago.. funny..

Sadly, the only option would be for the games companies to unionise. It seems silly that in this day and age, people still have to resort to giving up their power to unions.

EA, mining in the new millenium.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Then it will be outsourced!&

Hey Guys,

yeah and if you did a union more likely than not they would then resort to oversees to make it even cheaper. Not bettter just cheaper. Actually worse would be fine if they make even a slightly higher profit margin because they managed to make the game cheaper.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

Outsourcing is one of the points that continually get brought up when people mention that they're going to stand up for themselves.

Living in fear is not right. Letting someone take advantage of you and your family just because you're scared that if you speak up they might take their business elsewhere, is plain wrong.

Its not financially viable for EA to take their entire US operations overseas anyway. They would lose a shitload of money, and for what? Potentially worse games? Most of their games suck ass at the moment. I don't see them staying in business very long if they get any worse.

Stand up for your rights people! If you see yourself as a victim, then you'll always be a victim.

M

from a friend of mine that just started there:

ME:have you read those articles about working conditions at EA?...pretty heavy stuff if true...are people there talking at all about it?

HIM:Yeah I've read a lot of things lately as well. I've asked a few people

here about it and a lot of it sounds like they're all extreme cases.

Many people mentioned that they pulled longer hours at other places

they've worked, so I think it's more of an industry thing than just here

at EA. It's something that I think will change in the next five years or

so. The execs had a big meeting with us that covered this specific

topic, and they've said that they're going to work out a plan to make

sure that the homelife/worklife is a good healthy balance. They spend a

lot of money bringing new people in training them the EA way, then they

leave because of the hours. I think it boils down to the managent of the

team that you are on, good management = good hours, bad management = bad

hours. I know a lot of people that have been here for 5-10 years and

they're still happy so who knows....