Houdini 15 Sneak Peek

What's the point of adding such ground-breaking features without covering them comprehensively in in-depth videos? I guess with each new H release SESI is like: Okay, so we've added these awesome tools, but let's have fun by not covering them properly in videos and watch the kids try to learn them by trial and error plucking their hair, beard and what not...and by the time they do, we'll release another new version and repeat the cycle.

Title of the video is called  "Sneak Peek"

• Like 1

Title of the video is called  "Sneak Peek"

Dude...my rant was not for the "sneak peek" video...it's to do with the fact that SESI is totally reluctant to make in-depth videos of the new tools "AFTER" they have released the new version. Hope I'm clear now.

If you've seen the way Krakatoa it does it you would understand. It's just designed for particles(a lot of them very fast) and I think Mantra could benefit from an optimization in that regard. They could just add to PBR, Micropolygon and raytracing something like "particles".

1 Million particles for example is what Krakatoa would take for snack and it's typical for particle sims to be in that number league and above.

If Mantra could have that, then who else would say what about Houdini particle show?

Did you have a video ref or a shot done in Krakatoa, that you think is not doable in H ?

In Krakatoa you use an external engine to render particles, so you can't get same illumation or reflection for your objects and volumetrics.

Cheers

E

Fwiw Their appears to be some sneaking in of sneaky updates to the Sneak Peek. PolyExpand has been added at around 35sec mark if you only watched the original. :ph34r:  

Onion skinning it is very cool feature but how about perfomance of skin SOP on example.

The main barrier for character animation in the houdini is lack of tools for rigging.

- speed of skin SOP;

- speed of constraint (i mean obj level);

Edited by oslo
  • Like 2

The main barrier for character animation in the houdini is lack of tools for rigging.

I suppose this is little more complicated. I haven't met a rigger (and I met a few) who giving him/her a change to rig something in Houdini wouldn't freaked out, and jumped through the roof impressed by the power of Houdini rigging toolset...

...after which he/her might start complaining about things aren't designed for rigging, just being "rigging friendly by design" (real quotation) or so on... no animation layers nor clips and editing, poor curve editor performance and such, constrains being only on object level no rig encapsulation whatever that means... etc etc...

... after which it turns out animation culture is so strongly bind to Maya mindset, and people are some devoted to their existing toolset (MEL!), that most riggers won't switch anyway. 

... at the end it does't really matter, because most animators don't want to animate in Houdini, even on good rigs, finding always a reason. This might be changed by animation director, with Houdini background but... wait, there is no such people.

I've been opting for this several times already. The thing is to find a thing Houdini rigging/animation can be really good at giving its flexibility and technical matureness. And this is technical rigging IMHO. That is objects not designed for hand-animation. Crowds with AI, face capture, motion capture, FEM skinning, smart animation blending, chops, chops, chops. 

• Like 3

i do not think tools are missing , but something else first , IMHO ..

{

i havent tried rigging , but just i have consumed small sessions in setting up tiny rigs .. and then stepped back from 'lack of spiritual support in youtube' =P

( so my comment might sound irrelevant to pro-riggers or sidefx people @industry_level , but anyway here is mine as an individual one .. )

when i see what i can model with Hou because of what nodes it offers me , i 'believe' that rigging and CA powers are at the same level .

but for me personally , in reality , the lack of 'encouraging video materials' is what is keeping away from playing in CHOP_Land ( where i believe rigging engines run ) .

id suggest sidefx people to slowly but gradually record and upload small dissected videos demonstrating _basic-how-to_ in CA context . ( they have done it for other contexts and i like those )

the tools ( CHOP_nodes ) are installed with houdini , the performance is increasing with each release , people know its power .. so IMHO it is a pitty to not expose such a power to those who already are using Hou .

i know nothing about "what make big studios / pro-riggers to change their main CA tools" , but more considerations will occur once they see what people are able to do with Hou . why things look so easy with blender ?! ;)

also less anti-arguments will be heard , i belive .

for me ; the first move in this direction should be made from _sidefx_people_ .

later im sure , more in-depth commercial/free tutorials will appear for those who want to _know-more_ .

}

so some appear_to_be_missing_tools , will appear by variations of custom made tools .. the more of them ( experience / implemetation methods ) , the better for sesi , the better for all Hou_users without any doubt .

and so sidefx people will be in a better position to decide how to fit already existing chop_nodes or even better .. implement new_better_ones .

.cheers

--

p.s. : before using Hou i was using LightWave , so im not affraid of Hou  =}-

• Like 1

It´s surprising the video didn´t mention deformations are now Openly CooL...you sure want to bring some attention about that feature!

The sneak peek isn't meant as comprehensive feature list for H15, it's more of a highlight reel. Some features don't translate well to being shown in that way depsite being immensely useful, and others just didn't make the cut (or it'd be 20 minutes long and take months to make). You did see the enhancements to the deform SOP in the Animation section, you just didn't know it ;)

• Like 5

i do not think tools are missing , but something else first , IMHO ..

{

i havent tried rigging , but just i have consumed small sessions in setting up tiny rigs .. and then stepped back from 'lack of spiritual support in youtube' =P

( so my comment might sound irrelevant to pro-riggers or sidefx people @industry_level , but anyway here is mine as an individual one .. )

when i see what i can model with Hou because of what nodes it offers me , i 'believe' that rigging and CA powers are at the same level .

but for me personally , in reality , the lack of 'encouraging video materials' is what is keeping away from playing in CHOP_Land ( where i believe rigging engines run ) .

id suggest sidefx people to slowly but gradually record and upload small dissected videos demonstrating _basic-how-to_ in CA context . ( they have done it for other contexts and i like those )

the tools ( CHOP_nodes ) are installed with houdini , the performance is increasing with each release , people know its power .. so IMHO it is a pitty to not expose such a power to those who already are using Hou .

i know nothing about "what make big studios / pro-riggers to change their main CA tools" , but more considerations will occur once they see what people are able to do with Hou . why things look so easy with blender ?! ;)

also less anti-arguments will be heard , i belive .

for me ; the first move in this direction should be made from _sidefx_people_ .

later im sure , more in-depth commercial/free tutorials will appear for those who want to _know-more_ .

}

so some appear_to_be_missing_tools , will appear by variations of custom made tools .. the more of them ( experience / implemetation methods ) , the better for sesi , the better for all Hou_users without any doubt .

and so sidefx people will be in a better position to decide how to fit already existing chop_nodes or even better .. implement new_better_ones .

.cheers

--

p.s. : before using Hou i was using LightWave , so im not affraid of Hou  =}-

+1

Guest mantragora

I like that sidefx spend some time on modelling tools.

That's what I'm afraid of. In H14 they spend time on selections... and they sucked hard. It wasn't the slickest workflow.

When I see PolyBridge UI in SneakPeak it doesn't look to well though. And it does have problem with correct rotation, so I am a little skeptical.

post-7494-0-68998200-1439154759_thumb.jp

• Like 1

That's what I'm afraid of. In H14 they spend time on selections... and they sucked hard. It wasn't the slickest workflow.

When I see PolyBridge UI in SneakPeak it doesn't look to well though. And it does have problem with correct rotation, so I am a little skeptical.

I would have guessed that every tool in the 3d market takes a few years to mature and be built properly. Everything requires a few versions to iron out the bugs and workflow, which is fine as long as the bugs are ironed out- Iirc the h14 selection order issues that affected your tools were fixed within a reasonable amount of builds of being reported.