Flip instable set up

pasto

Hello,

I am trying to set up a Flip simulation for a cartoon character taking a bath of mud.

The collision is working nice when the pig is not moving, then as the animation starts, even when it is pretty calm, the collider is just penetrated violently by the particles as if the pressure was huge, it looks like the velocity is way too big to take care about the collision.

I tried a lot of things to get rid of that behavior but without success, the particles just go through.

Maybe I am missing something really obvious here but can't find a way to calm things down and get a stable sim.

I tried to decrease the force, smooth the vel, the vel scale, I even tried to avoid particle separation, boost up the substeps, etc. I tried also to change de sale of the global sim, no success at all.

The scene is pretty huge because the animation comes from an alembic file.

link to the scene file :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n45x6kyd4lsmvc5/scene.zip?dl=0

Many thanx

Jérôme

Pasto, I took a look at your setup. It kind of looks like you tried to change every single parameter in every node in the simulation. In my experience, this almost always results in a mess because you don't know what parameter is actually causing the problem you want to solve.

I discarded most of the nodes in your simulation and marked them in the color BLACK. I basically re-built the simulation with default values. I did re-use the bounding area you had setup. Main parameters to play with in this setup are the Particle Separtion and the Volume collision Uniform Divisions count. I also increase the Feedback scale to allow more interaction when the pig begins to move.

Scale is an issue, however, the pig seems to be at least 100 meters tall. This means he is taking a bath in a pond. Fluid will behave differently as a pond, compared to a bowl/bath.

I am attaching my revised file, I realize it is far from finished but maybe it will help? (re-connect your .abc after you open it)

post-12295-0-64173400-1440189330_thumb.j

ap_COCHON V2.hiplc.hipnc

Many thanx for taking the time to check it out Illusionist, it helped a lot.

Along with your precious remarks I also found out that the alembic import was giving some problem to the simulation, when I switched from "load Houdini geometry"  to "Alembic delayed load primitives", the sim weird "explosion" I had disappeared completely.

I thought Feedback scale was only meant to drive RBD simulated objects, but I will try it out, thx.

Thanx again, I really appreciate.

Jérôme