GeForce GTX 750 Ti Graphics Card Compatability with Houdini 13/14

garethuk

Hi, I am building a PC for personal Maya and Houdini related work ( I am on a computer animation degree ). Is the Gtx 750ti okay for my graphics card, because on the Houdini 14 supported graphics cards page (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2680&Itemid=390) it is not listed yet I believe it is a pretty good card for the price?

Also if I was able to upgrade any of these parts, which would be my best investment, for example i7 over i5, or doubling the memory, or even upgrading the graphics?

Here is my build, on a budget of around £700:

Intel i5

Asus H97m-E motherboard

Kingston SSD 240GB

1TB Hardrive

8GB Memory

GTX 750Ti

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Hi, I am building a PC for personal Maya and Houdini related work ( I am on a computer animation degree ). Is the Gtx 750ti okay for my graphics card, because on the Houdini 14 supported graphics cards page (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2680&Itemid=390) it is not listed yet I believe it is a pretty good card for the price?

Also if I was able to upgrade any of these parts, which would be my best investment, for example i7 over i5, or doubling the memory, or even upgrading the graphics?

Here is my build, on a budget of around £700:

Intel i5

Asus H97m-E motherboard

Kingston SSD 240GB

1TB Hardrive

8GB Memory

GTX 750Ti

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

GTX 950 is cheaper and faster but not supported either.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-950-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti

Also you should get more memory. I wouldn't even consider a laptop with 8GB memory nowadays.

I'm with everyone else, I'd go with more memory followed by the most CPU cores you can afford. After that comes GPU and and SSD is pretty low on the list.

Core's a big thing now I'd go with as many cpu cores you can afford, a hex core would be nice, or a octo core if you can swing the cost on the newer Haswell-E i7's. I'd do that even if It meant going with an older GPU for a bit. I've seen quadro 2000 boards go for $100 or less on craigslist, that's an option as a stop gap until you can upgrade the GPU later.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 750Ti in my build and can say it's running very smoothly :) Here's my build, I only put it together a couple of weeks ago and was on a real budget but managed to make my money go quite far. To save more money you could cut out the water cooler and get a cheaper case: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/KGD4f7

I'd definitely go with minimum 16GB of RAM, and unlike the others I'd really recommend an SSD. Load times compared to my old HDD are sooo much faster, I went with a 120GB SSD just for my OS and applications and I have a 1tb drive for storing data. I don't game on my PC though so if you are a PC gamer at all it might be too small for you.

• 2 months later...

If you're on a bugdet I wouldn't worry about a top line GPU. I run Houdini with an antique GTX 240 and have never had an issue. Houdini doesn't use my GPU for anything other than opengl draw anyways.

RAM (24 Gb if you can), CPU and 1 or 2 SSDs should be your priority.

On the other hand, if you like to game in your free time maybe save up for a newer GPU...