Apprentice: Thanks VisLab!

Jason

Ditto what Jason said. Thanks Vislab! This will certainlyhelp in the distribution of Apprentice.

I've already started a thread at 3D Buzz about the news and have seen one at CG Talk. These are the two most heavily populated forums I can think of at the moment. Hope their servers can handle the load. :D

Good to hear it, DaJuice.

If you look at that post in the Announcements, I've added a link to the techimage site which may or may not be a quicker download for you.

I found the video tuts really good. As a vet, you know all of the different technologies in Houdini but you often don't fully click how SESI intended you to use 'em. The tuts show some really good techniques as they planned it to work. I'm thinking particularly of using Macro's with VOPs and so on.

Cheers,

J

By the way!

Why is there two installers for Linux? One for Linux6 and another for Linux7.

They are compiled for RedHat 6.x & RedHat 7.x respectively because each of the distribution uses a different kernel.

Houdini is only officially supported on Red Hat Linux, though there are reports that Houdini runs on Mandrake & SuSe.

Cheers!

steven

Hey guys, is there an idiot's guide to using wget?

All I see is a bunch of files and directories when I unzip, but no executables.

btw, some of the directories under the sample files go really deep, like cd2/learningData/sample_files/highlights/butterfly/houdini/shop/displace/...etc.

Do I really need all that extra stuff beyond the hip files, because it looks like the folders and files that get setup when you install Houdini.

I did custom install and checked everything except for additional file assosiations.

I just found out that GNU utilities are no longer distributed with Houdini as of version 5.5(read about it here)

and instead one can install Cygwin utilities(which is the same thing)

But I still have question about toolkit!

Is it the toolkit I need to compile VEX code or something else?

What is the toolkit for?

Nope, to compile VEX shaders, you use vcc which is part of the Houdini installation.

Cygwin gives you Unix command/utilities tools.

If you would like to set your mind at ease, you can go to Start button -> Programs -> Side Effects Software -> Houdini 5.5.36 & select Command Line Tools to get a DOS shell with the Houdini Environment initialized.

Type "vcc -h" in the shell & you'll get the usage message.

Cheers!

steven