The best combo for Houdini

Hokmah

For few months I'm learning Houdini and I'm looking for good mate for this software in VFX. I used 3ds Max and Maya but now only Houdini and sometimes Max for modeling. What do you think guys about XSI? Is it still good support for Houdini or other soft?

I would think after h15 is released next week there will only a few modelling tools that other software has that you'll need. So Blender, Z-brush or Modo(801 until 901 stabilises).

Of course texture painting is also needed.

seriously XSI is still a good software but Autodesk gives you the guaranty that you won't get after the EOL updates. There is also no guaranty for new XSI License when you need more. XSI makes sense when you know it and you are using it now. 

what you can do is to sketch your personal pipeline(checklist) whats your requirements which software for what task. when you make houdini as a back-end and you just need a powerful organic modeler you can look at zbrush, 3d-coat or a other modeler and not another full DCC Software that saves some cost. Whats also possible that H15 can fill all your needs but that's at the moment a open question.

Even if Softimage was still being supported by Autodesk, I feel it would be a bit redundant in a pipeline with Houdini given that their traditional strengths (FX / particles / simulation) overlap quite a bit. As others have mentioned, what you really want is a good modeling package. Marty brought up MODO which I think is an excellent choice; in fact, if you can live with the restrictions of the Indie version that's easily the best deal going right now.

If you´re going strictly for FX work, then I would just go for ZBrush and do the rest in Houdini. If you expect some rigging and animation to creep in, then, as much as it hurts, currently Maya is still a industry standard there.

Also, work-wise, the Maya and Houdini combo will place you almost anywhere regarding FX work.

Edited by Netvudu

hey alex,

i made a very simple test if its possible to make a VDB Sculpter based on the Paint SDF Painter ( with a small modification ).

the problem is that the drawcurve sop need a mesh do you know a method how to work with the vdb data directly? because the VDBfrompolygone and convertvdb takeing the most part of the processing. when that can be overcome then there should be a possibility with vdb volumes to make a sculpter. 

volume_sdf_painter.hipnc

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...