How you would model a stone wall?

Izat

Hello, mates!

So, how you would model a stone wall?

Something like in this example: http://s3.amazonaws.com/forums.content.luxology.com/images/full/56930155dfd2563aceeb1f15bccb1474.jpg

Full topic: http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=9&t=106201

Simulation: 

And some other real life reference: https://envirohistorynz.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/stone-wall.jpg

I need some more random look, like if the structure was made not from bricks as in the example, but from smoothish/roundish river stones (with less hursh edges).

Actually I tried to create some wall using Thinking Particles in Max (for fracturing), but I didn't satisfied with the result, as the volume break>optimiser>subdivide>relax>noise didn't give me a desired look. The stones look too unnatural.

Aproximate dimensions of wall: height ~ 8-10m, width ~ 2-3m, length ~ 30-35m

Stone scale ~ 0,2-0,8m. 

The wall suppose to collapse at around its middle, not entirely.

Also I need create some kind of tower which should fall down as well

What is the route I should go in to?

As you can imagine there going to go a lot of amount of data, so I wonder is it doable at all?

If not, what are other ways in which I could cheet this collapsing river stone wall look?

Looking forward for your generous ideas. Any hint on creating mortar/mud between stones would be appreciated as well.

By the way I'm totally new to houdini, so little more detailed points will be more helpfull

Thanks

Izat

• 4 months later...

Hey, mates! It's me again. As I've promised I want to share some results on this topic with you.

Finally it was doable. It starts at 0:55 (password: dragonfly)

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Thanks for all of you.  :)

Edited by Izat
  • Like 1

Hi, Bruno. Thank you!

Actually the destruction shot was entirely done and rendered in houdini with mantra. I don't know which routine I'd go to transfer a houdini scene to 3ds max if I had to.

Corona renderer used for rendering the first shot, which was done entirely in 3ds max (well, ZBrush and World Machine involved as well here). And there is no houdini work in the first shot

But I could guess about capabilities of mantra that it could do the first shot as well as Corona did.

Ok, I don't know what I like more - mantra or Corona. When I'm in houdini I like mantra, when I'm in max I like Corona.