Interested in making a tsunami wave effect help me (discussion)

mranosa

Ok now i return to the same point!

The problem is that i don't want to use the ocean. I just want to use a deformed grid to represent my wave in the flip simulation like this deformed grid, i want it to drive huge waves in my simulation.

i reached this point now i used my deformed grid as a static object under the flip to make it goes up

look at this video to understand better

but now i need the water which is behind the wave to be higher than that :\

What you can try is creating a bent plane in the rough shape of a tsunami and modify the normals so that they point upwards, along the shape of the plane ; then transfer the normals to velocity and advect that velocity to your current sim so it gives you an extra push.

You could also use a clip on the SOP plane and animate it from bottom to top so that you gradually feed in the velocity into your sim.

Where are u :D am sorry i am impatient cauze it is for a project for a company

Can u send me a file please cauze i m beginner

What did you use as your pitch to win the job then?  Odforce isn't the place to crowdsource your work. 

LOL

it is not a job , it is just a company needs something like this but i can't explain more , so please if u can help me please do this !

I don't let anyone do my work it is just like an educational project -_- , so i try to find help anywhere

I learnt the basics and studied a lot on the flip fluid concepts but i m still learner but not that beginner that doesn't know anything

Are you aware that to do a big project you break it into little chunks and work on those before moving on?

Great! So do a little test with those, upload it and we can work on it.  

This is much better than the 'tasty talk' of your previous posts. You may not be aware but it reads as 'give me, give me, give me'

I think the approach for this should change depending on the camera location and how close to the wave you actually are.
For example, the reference you posted (San Andreas tsunami) I'm guessing the shot from above was a deformed mesh and then emitting spray/mist off it.

Personally I would be blocking in the timing/speed/action with a deformed mesh to begin with. That's going to get you something to start with, then using that information to drive a potential flip sim of the entire thing is the next step. Or potentially cheating it and hiding collision areas and the crest with lots of spray/mist.

Cheers Jake.

I would recommend as a starting point, you maybe ditch attempting to apply "forces" to flip fluids, and try using collision objects instead.

Forces are a bit of a misleading idea - gravity and tital forces exist, but they're not exactly what causes a wave to form (at least in a simple sense).  Waves are mainly caused by compression of the fluid... more compressed - larger wave... less compressed, deeper dip between waves.  If you push against water, it has to get out of the way...  The simplest way to brute-force that effect is to literally hit the water with a passive collision object.

Try putting a large cube at the back, slightly wider and deeper than your sim domain... now, maybe animate it with a sine-wave... ie, put    <strength>*sin($T*<speed>)    into the Translate X (or Z) channel.  <strength> will be a number to make the rocking action larger, and <speed> will be a number to make the waves more/less frequent - vary those numbers to change the overall effect.

That will give you a very basic setup to create larger/smaller single waves that actually behave something like real waves.

Edited by danw