Trouble Weird with Mask Field

paxsonsa

Hey Everyone,

I am trying a test with the mask field. I am trying to mask the Gas Blur solver by a volume from sops. The result should be a smooth look near the emission source and then outside the mask field you should see a bunch of disturbance.

I took a look at the example attached with the Mask Field node and set my test up in similar way but for a reason I cannot find the mask field is not working. 

What am I missing?

I get the feeling that the disturbance and gas blur are working against each other or the MaskField is being erased before it reaches the Gas Blur.

File is attached and Image for those too lazy to open the network. I will be available to answer any questions.

post-10359-0-79743400-1446054341_thumb.p

smoke_gasblur_mask_not_working.hip

[sOLVED]

For those who were interested, here is the fix

What Different:

- Switch the Mask Field Dop for a straight Apply Data DOP and then change the name in the GasBlur to reference the sopscalarfield that was created ("SOPFieldMask")

For some reason using the Mask Field node, the Mask Field never makes it to the GasBlur. I can't be sure if the MaskField is being cleared or not ready because its Data Type is not supported. But most likely its something I was doing wrong.

If anybody has more information on the problem please let me know I am very interested in whether this is a BUG or not.

smoke_gasblur_mask_working.hip

Edited by paxsonsa

yes I thought I attached a file, sorry,  but I did pretty much what I described.  I've attached it here for posterity.  I was reading about the apply_mask dop and it mentions torque etc,  so maybe it's just for the rbdsoolver ?

-G

[sOLVED]

For those who were interested, here is the fix

What Different:
- Switch the Mask Field Dop for a straight Apply Data DOP and then change the name in the GasBlur to reference the sopscalarfield that was created ("SOPFieldMask")

For some reason using the Mask Field node, the Mask Field never makes it to the GasBlur. I can't be sure if the MaskField is being cleared or not ready because its Data Type is not supported. But most likely its something I was doing wrong.

If anybody has more information on the problem please let me know I am very interested in whether this is a BUG or not.

smoke_gasblur_mask_not_working_v1.hip