• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks very pretty there:)

BTW, you can easily save (and distribute) parameter settings in Houdini by click the horizontal "stow-bar" at the top of the parameter pane (between the title and the parameters) and going to the "Presets" menu and selecting "Save As..." and save a .preset file out.

16286[/snapback]

All right ! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'll post them up here soon with a pic of my finished model.

16652[/snapback]

Allright.... :)

By the way, here is the latest version (v 1.4). I killed a little nasty (floating pont consistency) bug...

[edit]

Please reload the attachment, since there was still a bug due to the limited numerical precision of VEX.... :(

Hope this is the final release !!!

[edit]

arno_hair_far_field_v1_4.zip

I've pretty much finished the character that I've been working on for the last couple of months. It uses your v1.3 shader for the fur. It is currently using 150,000 individual NURBS curves with spring dynamics for the hair so it's no surprise that my renders are coming in at ~1 hour per frame :unsure:

I'll post a couple of screenshots tomorrow morning when I've got a few frames rendered out, and a video in a couple of weeks (it'll be rendering while I'm away skiing). The shader is looking fantastic, by the way!

I've pretty much finished the character that I've been working on for the last couple of months.  It uses your v1.3 shader for the fur.  It is currently using 150,000 individual NURBS curves with spring dynamics for the hair so it's no surprise that my renders are coming in at ~1 hour per frame :unsure:

I'll post a couple of screenshots tomorrow morning when I've got a few frames rendered out, and a video in a couple of weeks (it'll be rendering while I'm away skiing).  The shader is looking fantastic, by the way!

16991[/snapback]

Good news !! :)

It was my mistake, but please use version v1.4 !!!! The version 1.3 may have artifacts problems due to the limited numerical precision (of floats) !!! This problem is defenitely fixed with the new version (v1.4)....

Cheers,

Arno

Are you raytracing shadows against 150,000 hairs?

17022[/snapback]

I don't know. I have no knowledge of the lighting/rendering technicalities of Houdini. I just know that if I put three point lights in the scene, set shadows to fastShadows and click render in the outputs, it looks nice...?

I don't know.  I have no knowledge of the lighting/rendering technicalities of Houdini.  I just know that if I put three point lights in the scene, set shadows to fastShadows and click render in the outputs, it looks nice...?

17031[/snapback]

If you would care to enlighten me further, I'd be hugely appreciative - I can't have that long for the final rendering :huh:

If you would care to enlighten me further, I'd be hugely appreciative - I can't have that long for the final rendering  :huh:

17064[/snapback]

Yes, fastShadows are only "fast" because they're easy :)

Look into ZDepth shadows. These involved looking though your lights and getting a good coverage on the subject you're lighting, rendering ZDepth images which are done automatically if you select "Autogenerate..." and so on... whew.. biggish topic - anyone continue? :shocking: :)

In fact, read here:

OdWiki Shadowmap Page

Raytracing against thousands of splines is slow compared...

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it :)

Incidentally, I just logged off my workstation remotely after checking how the rendering was going, and copied a frame over to post on here as I thought you'd enjoy a bit of a laugh. There's something funny going on with the Spring SOP... :lol:

post-791-1111621512_thumb.jpg