How to calculate curvature of a volume in VOPs?

magneto

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Xmas! The way I'd do this right now would be to put a point per voxel, and then check the dot product of local points sdf vector vs its own and reproject back that onto a new field... But that seems pretty inefficient, betting there's a much better way!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

curvature computation on grid data like volumes is fairly easy. just compute the hessian and extract the curvature information you need.

hth.

petz

Just want to say thanks for that petz, exactly the information I was looking for, clear and elegantly demonstrated :-)

• 2 years later...

I recently checked file "vol_curv.hipnc" and that's great, and I wonder if we can always output a normalized value. It would be a range mostly -1 to 1,  probably using voxel size info . I know it could be depends on polygon object and value could not reach max1 ot min-1 value.

Right now, for instance, it sets  vdbfrompolygons1>voxel 0.2, and curvature range -1 to 10. When it sets voxel size to 0.1, curvature range become -3 to 14, etc. I know, after calculating curvature, we can normalize it by fit node. But it would be great to output normalized curvature approximatly -1 to 1 in all the time, regardless voxel size. 

Thanks