breiko

Houdini Book?

Hello all,

I'm a comper interested in 3D and I thought a good choice would be start learning Houdini. I know there are video tutorials and courses ( not much ) out there but I like having a book next to me to help me in the process.

I found 2 books in amazon but they are quite old, so I'm wondering if there are no updated books for Houdini.

You must be talking about The Magic of Houdini and Houdini on The Spot. You're right, they are a bit old. Honestly, I don't really think you need a book on Houdini. 

The best way to learn is through the learning videos offered by SideFx (GoProcedural channel). And then there's Peter Quint that has some really great tutorials on Vimeo too.

Lastly, just get into Houdini and start doing stuff, if you're stuck, don't forget about the Help cards and documentation, they are really helpful! And you can also post on here or the SideFx forum :)

Houdini is probably the only major 3d program that does not have a reference book unfortunately (not even outdated ones).

Edited by konstantin magnus

the issue with a book is that they take a very long time to write, are difficult up update and they go out of date very quickly...and they are expensive.

Houdini ships with example files for just about every node - they're very good to learn from.