hardware setting for best performance with Houdini 15

matEvil

Hi there!

I have a rapid question... there is some particular setting/option or check in Houdini (15) for improve the peformance with hadware?

Actually I have:

AMD FX 8350 @ 4GHz

32 GB of Ram ddr3

GTX 970 4GB (especially on this section)

ssd pro evo

I see some time the "auto-update" of viewport is a few slow.... in alternative is change more the performance from 970 to 980TI or change more if I pass to Linux (fedora/ubunto or centOS) ?

Thank you for now

Matteo

• 3 months later...

Best thing you can do is get away from the AMD platform, if you can get a 980ti, instead take that money and get the best cpu/motherboard combo from intel you can like the 4790k and just move your ram over that would help a lot.

Best of Luck

Eric

I basically have the same RIG you have. I was able to bump my FX8370 up to 4.4Ghz. Having a faster clock speed does improve all software because most software is still single threaded.

I am curious, what part of Houdini performs poorly?

At this point in the game, the 4790 is on it's way out. Any new CPU motherboard combo for VFX should be for the Skylake platform or 6700K (i.e. DDR4 based memory and > 32GB RAM capacity). This link show a computer I am considering for my next machine.

Edited by Atom

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

sorry I see now the reaply because I don't active the "notify me" :)
ANYWAY!.... Thank you for your message, I try with a little adjstment I change my motherboard ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 with a Gigabyte GA-990FX-Gaming and see if change something and maybe I pass to GTX 1080.

On 1/5/2016 at 2:14 PM, Atom said:

I basically have the same RIG you have. I was able to bump my FX8370 up to 4.4Ghz. Having a faster clock speed does improve all software because most software is still single threaded.

I am curious, what part of Houdini performs poorly?

At this point in the game, the 4790 is on it's way out. Any new CPU motherboard combo for VFX should be for the Skylake platform or 6700K (i.e. DDR4 based memory and > 32GB RAM capacity). This link show a computer I am considering for my next machine.

The "problem" is sometime no refresh the viewport (I understand is normal in some case) and it's to slow for scroll also with the cache (rbd, pops, fluid), but it's ok (better of 3dsmax :) ).

My next I'm sure based on intel and maybe I ask to this guys - http://www.3dws.net/products/

On 1/5/2016 at 11:04 PM, marty said:

Linux will help greatly when the memory gets fragmented.

Yes! I think also to this and in this time I "study" linux sistem on virtual machine and then I try to install it on one separate disk. The "problem" is my pipeline is based more on windows (Adobe suite, Fusion, 3dsmax) and for a 80% of job I can pass to linux os.

so... thank you for your message and sorry if I answer after more time :)

Matteo