Peter Quint / PQ Houdini Moving to youtube

Peter Quint

Vimeo have started enforcing the rule that if you make tutorials for a product, even if you are not associated with the product's owner, and don't make money from the tutorials, you need a PRO account. So after six years on Vimeo I have a choice: to charge for videos to help meet the high cost of a PRO subscription, or move off Vimeo. 

I hope to have all the content back up within a week or two. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadDnwVUjIgXmq9XeLV05wQ

Edited by Peter Quint
  • Like 2

Yikes, I have not heard about this?

So you have to choose Pro, Plus isn't good enough?

Did Vimeo contact you directly?

YouTube is so dang Ghetto and mangles videos. I can't get anything to playback correctly on YouTube.

Edited by Atom

It doesn't seem to be being applied universally. I guess I'm lucky enough to be one of the larger producers of tutorials. Vimeo did contact me directly - with a message that my account would be disabled within fourteen days if I did not upgrade. I took it up with their customer services team, who didn't really engage simply repeating the terms of service back to me.

Peter, you are awesome. You are a huge part of the Houdini community. It saddens me to see this happen to someone so giving. I am going to let Vimeo know what I think about their policy.

Edit:

This is posted on their website:

Businesses may not use Vimeo Basic or Vimeo Plus to host videos. If you want to upload videos with a commercial intent, you must use Vimeo PRO.

Commercial content includes:

• Product demos and tutorials.

Exception! If you’re an independent production company, artist, or non-profit, you may use any account type (Basic, Plus, or PRO) to showcase your creative work.

2nd Edit:

Everyone, please consider writing Vimeo here:

https://vimeo.com/help/contact

please include this link in your email:

https://vimeo.com/channels/pqhoudini

Edited by loopyllama
  • Like 2

Well, that's dumb of them. The free-market mechanisms, just like natural selection, will punish every bad decision you make.

I've watched quite a few of your tutorials which is helpful in understanding Houdini's philosophy.

Would love to see more about rigging to be honest and it's the least explored subject in your video library. Character rigging to be precise, something users from other apps might ask increasingly more frequent, as many will jump into Houdini's boat in the future.

Thanks a lot for your effort, it's appreciated and who knows, maybe this transition will come with a few benefits for you since YT has the monetizing system which doesn't charge neither the producer nor the viewers. :)

Edited by McNistor

• 4 weeks later...