Houdini Cloth Questions

Syrena

Hello!

I've started to learn Houdini, and I was hoping I could get some answers on a few struggles I'm having with Cloth in H15.

I'm working on a sailing ship, and I need to animate the sails via Cloth. I've mostly have the basics all set up but hit a few snaggies.

First one is in the autodop. How do I apply a different Windforce to different cloth objects? I have the flag and the sails, but I don't want the flag to move like

the sails. So I have 2 cloth objects being merged into one FEM and there's one Windforce. I would like to have 2 Windforces: one to drive the sails and one to drive the flag.

In addition to that, how can I make the sails not be affected by the wind uniformly so there's variation and it doesn't look so fake?

Thank you for your time!

Here's a link to what I've done thus far.

https://vimeo.com/154187393

Edited by Syrena

This is pretty straight forward.  In the wind force node there is a group variable.  Put the name of the clothobject you want to effect instead of the * that is default.

Hello! Oh I see now! That works! Thank You!

So to get the sails to be non-uniform, I would have to have separate cloth object for each sail and assign different wind force?

So to get the sails to be non-uniform, I would have to have separate cloth object for each sail and assign different wind force?

That would be the easiest way of getting the sails to act differently.  If you want to get more interesting looks, I would recommend adding a noise field to the wind forces to make it less of a uniform look.   If you have never used the noise field, they are connected into the second input (green) of the wind force.

That would be the easiest way of getting the sails to act differently.  If you want to get more interesting looks, I would recommend adding a noise field to the wind forces to make it less of a uniform look.   If you have never used the noise field, they are connected into the second input (green) of the wind force.

Well that's something to try. What's the other way to get the sails to act differently?