Snow terrain (mantra shading and render)

OskarSwierad

Hi,

Maybe you stumbled upon my video on facebook Houdini Artists. Still, I cross-post because I'd like to get your critique - which is something hard to get on facebook!

I'm working on a snow-covered terrain shading and rendering in Mantra. The geometry was sculpted by another artist but I added some details with displacements. I want to achieve a look of smooth, almost untouched snow covering rocky highlands (not Arctic glaciers). What can I improve?

~20 min per frame at 720p on Intel i7-3770

Still frame:

terrainRender_v67_0180.jpg

For comparison, original terrain model (plain diffuse material):

terrainRender_v67_0180_lambert_nodisp.jp

Edited by OskarSwierad
  • Like 3

Thank you both.

I just watched Outerra's FMX slides on procedural terrain with interesting features - not just generic. Many similar problems which I encountered were approached in clever, simple ways.

For example:

- they add horizontal displacements after the typical height noise

- slope calculations drive many things: random pebbles placement, more or less random disp, ...

- mountain peaks are extra-sharpened

I recommend reading it if you're interested in the topic - http://forum.outerra.com/FMX/presentation/

• 2 years later...
On 2016/2/15 at 9:35 PM, OskarSwierad said:

Hi,

Maybe you stumbled upon my video on facebook Houdini Artists. Still, I cross-post because I'd like to get your critique - which is something hard to get on facebook!

I'm working on a snow-covered terrain shading and rendering in Mantra. The geometry was sculpted by another artist but I added some details with displacements. I want to achieve a look of smooth, almost untouched snow covering rocky highlands (not Arctic glaciers). What can I improve?

~20 min per frame at 720p on Intel i7-3770

Still frame:

terrainRender_v67_0180.jpg

For comparison, original terrain model (plain diffuse material):

terrainRender_v67_0180_lambert_nodisp.jp

very cool!  How is this done? Can you share it? Or file

20 mins per frame? in mantra? or red shift?  nah, thats insane!!! not worth it,  i really think that sesi should work more on the shaders department,  subsurface and indirect  lighting needs to be faster and cleaner,   even with the clean sampling workflows you shouldnt  end with a 20 min render...   

Edited by dyei nightmare
  • Downvote 1