Stalkerx777

Greeble plugin for Houdini

Stalkerx777    75

Hey this looks good! Do you have any way to resolve self-intersections?

No, because this way it will not be a Greeble anymore  :)  Shape stacking is very interesting but pretty hard task btw.

f1480187    454

Great, thanks! I can finally complete that metropolis tutor.

Small bug occurs on my Windows build 15.0.371:
1. On every second cook, it uses new primitive numbers, instead of input's (group's primitive selection: "12-14").
2. When delete and undo, the geometry is empty, and the node has warning 'X' is not valid group, where X is primitive selection.

any way to resolve self-intersections?

Outside programming, random shapes can be packed by using texture packing nodes, then fit to surface using For Each and Match Size SOP. Still not a super trivial task although.

acey195    109

Creating your own greeble tool is one of the first modeling exercises you can do in Houdini, its fun.

Your implementation looks nice in the video though :).

Just wondering, what does it do with triangles? I know that is also not a trivial problem to solve,

especially if the method uses some kind of deformation, I don't think I have yet seen an implementation that handles it well,

so no biggy :P

Outside programming, random shapes can be packed by using texture packing nodes, then fit to surface using For Each and Match Size SOP. Still not a super trivial task although.

you can also use the creep sop to do the last part.

In general you want to avoid using foreach sops whenever you can, unfortunately that does often require you to use more math.

But for perfectly rectangular shapes you should be able to use a copy sop with some point scaling.

• Like 1

Done. Check out updated links.

Awesome, thank you Alex ! One thing I noticed though is that the attached materials don't show correctly in the viewport. They render fine though. Is this related to the Mac version or is it the same on windows too ?

@Werner : I have simply extracted the files into my houdini user folder. You'll notice the icons folder in there as well.

• Like 1

Stalkerx777    75

Awesome, thank you Alex ! One thing I noticed though is that the attached materials don't show correctly in the viewport. They render fine though. Is this related to the Mac version or is it the same on windows too ?

Didn't test that, but currently UV's are not applied to generated geometry, i'll add this feature later.

Werner    27

@Werner : I have simply extracted the files into my houdini user folder. You'll notice the icons folder in there as well.

Thanks! I will give it a go.

Stalkerx777    75
On 2/14/2017 at 11:14 PM, ablionbear said:

I have watched your greeble demo, I wonder if you have a linux version.

Cheers.

I don't have Linux version sorry. It's extremely easy to compile on Linux.

ablionbear    0
6 hours ago, Stalkerx777 said:

I don't have Linux version sorry. It's extremely easy to compile on Linux.

How do I compile on linux?

Sorry, haven't a full idea how does the whole compile works.

Cheers.