Hello,

I'm looking to find out what off the shelf render farms people prefer currently for production; likes and dislikes?

Short background: We need to use our nodes for Houdini, Max, Maya, fume, and a few other software. Currently about ~100 nodes, and we don't have a dedicated render farm technician so the most hands off, off the shelf is the best. I have experience with HqueueRush, Deadline, and Qube, so I am looking for any additional off the shelf software, too beyond those.

Thanks

-Ben

• Like 1

i was asking myself the same questions recently on CG talk 

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1332200&highlight=render+manager

- Deadline / Royal Render were the 2 i've isolated.

But i'm still on HQUEUE cause it still do the job at the moment !

Cheers 

E

Thanks for the link.

Need to go through the details of what I found, but here was the list in aggregate.

Deadline and Royal Render being the best on the list for our needs.

Main list:

Hqueue – Houdini Only (Free)

Backburner – Autodesk Only(some command line control)

Rush

Deadline – best reviews higher cost

Qube – bad reviews

Royal Render – best reviews lower cost

Muster – bad reviews

Smedge – bad reviews

Butterfly

Renderpal

open source but sounds like a lot of overhead (Free)

Puli / OpenRenderManagement

Afanasy / CGRU

Arsenal Suite

DrQueue

SunGrid

Cloud Rendering – Not for our needs.

Amazon Render Cloud

Azure

Grid Market

Threads Asking the same, as mentioned above.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1332200&page=1&pp=15&highlight=render+manager

http://opensourcevfx.org/tag/render-queue/

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php?t-598826.html - Old

• Like 2

Thanks for the info symek it was refreshing,

One of the short pieces I can add is that customer service, maintenance, and setup, are simple keys.

Customer Service can save all, but depending on how much resources you have to manage a farm(or any software) can make a big difference i.e. 

1. A large studio with system admins and render wranglers full-time 24/7 where optimum efficiency is important. 

2. The mid size studio/teams where you have a farm constantly going, but there is more down than up. You may have a farm wrangler if your lucky, most likely a producer/lead, and a system admin occasionally when they aren't doing their other jobs. 

3. The small team who need a farm every few months. 

Especially going from film to commercials to games, or even other industries, the abilities of what you need in a farm vary greatly.

Another dichotomy is if you pay for a large commercial renderer, when a free license can get by, or if you find maintenance is not worth the cost of the product. 

Also politics..  :ph34r:  lol... proprietary issues, and other business factors can vary and change what is more valued.

I can highly reckon RenderPal as a cheaper and eas(ier) to use option to Deadline. Did a lot of customization-scripts (distributed sim, batch-jobs, wedging etc.) with hython. Pretty easy to setup and works very stable between houdini and RenderPal

• 7 months later...

Doing some further homework. Here is a hysterically longer list, doing the google search method...

I think 90% of these are just cloud computing clones.  Here was a base website. http://rentrender.com/all-render-farms-list/

Deadline
Render Pal
Qube
nXtRenderFarm
Smedge
RoyalRender
Muster
Rush
EnFuzion
Tractor
PixelPlow
Cinelerra
Splish
Condor
MyRenderBox
AnimaRender
ForRender
ProRender
VoxelMillRender
SummuS
Butterfly
Renderpal
ProRender
Thepillow

GridMarket
RebusFarm
Rendercore
RenderRocket
FOXRenderFarm
SummusRender
UltraRender
TurboRender
RenderNow
RenderNation
ZyncRender
RayVision
FelixOnlineRendering
RenderFarm.ro
RenderWrangler
RevUpRender
3DGraphic-Art
PersonalRenderFarm
3DBrazil
PEARender
RenderrrrrrrTitan
RanchComputing
GarageFarm
YellowDog
CompernicusComputing
RenderStorm
RenderSpell
Xrender
RenderStreet
KievRenderFarm
SparkRender
DropAndRender
RenderBuzz
Xiruim-Farm
Ddd-group
Renderfactory
Renderfarm3d
Renderfarm.it
RenderFlow
BusinessRenderFarm
Rpworkshop
Rendersupport
Renderkraft
Renderking
Renderhelp
Renderfarmc4d.com
Renderfeed.com
Renderfarm*
Renderboy
Render365
Rabbitfarm3d
Mirage
Helprender
Greenrender
Cgindustries
Beha
Artlantis
Archiform3d
VoxelMillRender
TheSchoolofArchitexture
T-services
Synergy88Studios
StratusCore
Sheepit!RenderFarm
Shaderlight
Rendicity
Rendermyframes
RenderFarmLosAngeles
NationalCenterforHigh-PerformanceComputing
MRIYA
LoongRender
LionRender
LeroiRenderfarmStudio
HerbergerInstituteRenderingService
Khepris
Landhightech
GlobalClouds
DNSRenderFarm
Cineca
DigikoreStudios
EGMColorLaboratoriesS.A.
CardiffSchoolOfCreative&CulturalIndustries
Blendergrid
Blenderrender.co.uk
BlenderQarnot
AutodeskA360RenderClous
AtomicFiction
AnkaraRender

SquidNet 
Afantasy
Aptira
SFDM:MontgomeryHall
ArsenalSuite
DrQueue
SunGridEngine
Puli
RayPump

Backburner
Hqueue
RayPump
TheBigAndUglyRenderingProject
RenderEffects
KineticVision
Renderman-on-demand

• 1 year later...

Many thanks for that great summary Szymon, it was just what I was looking for. We actually are a supercomputer facility, so have lots of task scheduler experience, PBS Pro in our case. But for my groups work (sci-viz) we're currently using hqueue on a chunk of cloud machinery. Being a educational and research institution we have the luxury of great hardware resources, but poor software budgets. Hqueue has been ok for small renders, but has truly woeful performance once you attempt jobs that have a large number of frames, eg I've just rendered a sequence with ~45,000. To view the job I'm seeing 80Mb xmlrcp downloads into the browser, each taking about 30s, with the hqueue process flat pegged at 100% for a lot of the time. Plus the browser re-loads that 80Mb every few seconds, proper server side pagination would go a long way to making it more efficient. I'm also currently trying to delete that finished job which has pegged the hqueue server for the last half an hour. I'm guessing it's a wildly inefficient implementation, where you could reasonably expect a good SQL statement should be able to do that in the blink of an eye.

Question for hqueue users, has anyone gone over from sqlite to mySQL and seen a big difference in performance? I'm thinking it woudn't make that much difference, since the main bottleneck seems to be in the hqueue web server API implementation.

Now the question is do I start implementing my own half baked pipeline using something like SLURM. Wish HQueue could get some SideFX luvvin!

hqueue_screen.jpg

• 1 year later...