Best NPR ever

reyan

That looks really versatile. 

Im very interested in emulating 2d styles. When it comes to Toon rendering Houdini is very capable, edges and outlines are very easy to create and manipulate the line thickness but to get true 2d shading on a 3d object you need to be able to rotate the normals in whatever direction you please. 

This can be done with the comb sop, but this can be very cumbersome, all that would be need is for the edit sop to be able to manipulate the direction of normals that it. I submitted a RFE so maybe it might be on the way.

Here is what is looks like in XSI.  

goto 19:40

Great thing is all of it works in the viewport, ive tested it, outline, interior lines thickness, shading and how the surface responds to light. Only thing that makes the process more difficult is the edit sop cannot rotate normals by selecting points and rotating vectors if there is a tool that can do this, someone link it :) 

Edited by abvfx
  • Like 2

i worked on the mighty ducks back in... er...1995 maybe.  our approach for toon rendering was to simply render constant color, then render a shadow pass for all lighting.  wireframes were created with a custom renderer which detected edges against objects, normals and z depth (each with different qualities).  i guess i shoulda wrote a paper or something...

Cool stuff guys !

The stuff done for paperman were also very cool !

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-inside-story-behind-disneys-paperman/

The process describe looks to something doable in houdini

- curves generation + offset

- motion field advection

- advected texture

Well i can't think of a better tool than H to replicate this ?

• Like 4

The GDC show is very interesting ! I didn't see, thanks for the link.
It's a big plus that every works in realtime, i would like to have some time for test this solution in Houdini

Only thing that makes the process more difficult is the edit sop cannot rotate normals by selecting points and rotating vectors if there is a tool that can do this, someone link it :)

Abvfx, that's true, but i was thinking to build the setup for the normals in a Wrangle SOP

Edited by reyan

Abvfx, that's true, but i was thinking to build the setup for the normals in a Wrangle SOP

Do you mean a sop, just for rotating rotating selected normals? If that is so, excellent. From what i see, this is the missing link when it comes to the 2d > 3d link (and for it to be intuitive). I would be happy to create a character to test this on, especially because its low poly. 

• 10 months later...

I built this simple outline effect which works pretty well.  Better than I would have expected.  However its slow to update in the viewport.

Can any of you show me how to rewrite the point sop normal expressions (origin("","../../cam1", "TX")-$TX)  into VEX code?  That's where the normals are oriented toward the camera.  VEX would speed this up a ton but I can't figure out the right vex.  I also can't figure out how to delete only primitives who's normals are oriented towards the camera.  

quick outline5.hip

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 6.18.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 6.18.43 PM.png

• Like 1

enpeeeaaarrrrr!!!!!!
Really looking forward to what houdini might be able to do for me... I really, really love npr or rather np authoring toolsets. Here's a few videos of a tool I went broke trying to finance. First, prototype:

and here's a test, showing real-time diffusion via a motion blur hack:

disclaimer: the genius behind this is Thomas Luft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stickman said:

enpeeeaaarrrrr!!!!!!
Really looking forward to what houdini might be able to do for me... I really, really love npr or rather np authoring toolsets. Here's a few videos of a tool I went broke trying to finance. First, prototype:

houdini have a lot potential, mantra is extreme hack-able for this kind of stuff... its also area which  i wanna get into it.

also check out http://photodonut.com/ --> pretty cool and node based

4 hours ago, stickman said:

Really looking forward to what houdini might be able to do for me... I really, really love npr or rather np authoring toolsets. Here's a few videos of a tool I went broke trying to finance. 

Hi David!

I remember waiting for that tool to come out for a long time, too bad it did not end well :/

Hopefully you'll get something new built in Houdini!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...