Create groups from geometry islands

kev2

I think this should be easy but I'm missing something.

When the "display group and attributes" flag is set in the viewport, Houdiini will group connected geometry into "islands" and identify them with different colors. Very helpful but I'd like to create a group for each island in bulk, e.g., Island 0, Island 1, ... would be Group 0 , Group 1... and so on. Problem is I can't sort out how the Island value is being stored. I've tried @name and a couple other approaches but nada. 

Anyone know if its possible or how to accomplish this? To be clear, I can use connectivity and partition to get the groups by Class etc but I'm trying to create groups from all UV islands specifically. I hope that makes sense?

Edited by kev2

Hi Skybar,

Right, I could Connectivity/Partition and sort by UV. You also can select multiple islands or geo groups and then hit the Group shelf tool to get a group with all the components of the island or geo group. That works fine too. 

I thought there might be some way to access the island attribute but i guess its just a display tool. 

You have to lock file node (CTRL + LeftClick on red rectangle on left side of node) so .obj geometry  embed with the scene.

Then chose connectivity node and connectivity type set to PRIMITIVE, then UV connectivity option will be visible. By default, created attribute have name CLASS. Change it to ISLAND if you like. You can avoid partition node if you just need attribute without creation of groups. So instead partition you can use let say color node to visualize islands, select color type RANDOM FROM ATTRIBUTE and as name of attribute use your ISLAND of course class should be PRIMITIVE