OdWiki spamming

Jason

Every now and then some spammer will go and wreck a page or two of the Wiki. Unless we have some authentication this is going to carry on.. but we don't want it to be awkward to update the wiki.. so if anyone spots an spammed page, please report it here and we'll revert the page.

Thanks!

Jason

PS. Thanks to the UsualAlex for spotting the last one. Cheers!

To help us monitor the wiki I would like to ask that everyone make sure they're logged in before making an edit. This will help us spot anonymous edits and check them quicker.

Of course, this doesn't help if the vandal actually registers, but it should help a little.

Thanks

M

Yes, there is a reason. I'm not sure I agree with it, however.

But since we're using the wiki that's powering the Wikipedia they have seen fit (for the moment) to allow all and sundry to edit their pages. There is a big debate going on over there at the moment on how to approach vandalism. I hope they resolve it soon, so we can not worry about it anymore.

Cheers

M<

• 2 weeks later...

New spammer just got to tonnes of pages today:

* (diff) (hist) . . Outputs; 01:42 . . 81.196.233.92 (Talk)

* (diff) (hist) . . I3dconvert; 01:42 . . 81.196.233.92 (Talk)

* (diff) (hist) . . SHOPs; 01:41 . . 81.196.233.92 (Talk)

* (diff) (hist) . . Rendering; 01:40 . . 81.196.233.92 (Talk)

* (diff) (hist) . . FileFormats; 01:38 . . 81.196.233.92 (Talk)

* (diff) (hist) . . Category:FileFormats; 01:38 . . 81.196.233.92 (Talk)

* (diff) (hist) . . MantraProcedurals; 01:38 . . 81.196.233.92 (Talk)

* (diff) (hist) . . I3dgen; 01:37 . . 81.196.233.92 (Talk)

* (diff) (hist) . . I3d; 01:35 . . 81.196.233.92 (Talk)

• 9 months later...

There's spam still on the ExternalHoudiniResources page on the wiki. You don't notice it because they've cleverly formatted it to make it invisible. It doesn't even show up in the diff's. However, if you edit it or do a View Source on the page (and diffs), then it becomes apparent. Search engines like Google of course will likely just rank it. I haven't removed it yet so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

How do we figure out all the pages that the spam users like Ptiz68, ZenitMom, and Nata92 (in this case) and remove their crap?

EDIT: Figured out how to do that. OMG, there's so many pages! (with spam still on them)

Ptiz68

ZenitMom

Nata92

There are alot of pages with spam still on them, so if you find them then please take a few moments to clean them up.

All those users have been banned, their names still show up in the userlist however, I'm not entirely sure how to remove them completely from the db. Shouldn't matter though, they're not in the editors group so they can't do anymore damage.

M

Well, the problem as I've mentioned previously is that removing it from the current revision is not hard. However, the problem is that it still shows up in the history which is still fine by them. So is there a way for me to somehow remove that too?

Well the blocking/banning is largely immaterial. It always has been, really. The registrations are created by bots who then proceed to trash the place. So to ban one doesn't mean anything since they'll just use another name and carry on.

Also, doesn't look like that user has done anything bad yet, so perhaps I'll leave it for now.

oh, and thanks a ton for helping with the cleanup.

Well the blocking/banning is largely immaterial. It always has been, really. The registrations are created by bots who then proceed to trash the place. So to ban one doesn't mean anything since they'll just use another name and carry on.

well none of this should matter anymore now that there is the editors group, correct? so new user creation or banning doesn't matter in the long run if you aren't an editor..