Modeling Operation Questions

Arthur Spooner

How can you move a copy independently of the other copies without breaking the copy node ? 

How do you add thickness to an extruded curve ? I was hoping Depth Scale was the answer unfortunately, no :(

What node splits an extruded curve, by split I mean edge split ? Finally for this little batch of questions, can you merge selected vertices after a copy node, instead of them, in my case overlapping ?

You can move a copy independent of other copies by adding a transform node and stamping Location/Rotation based upon a point number. So add a transform node on the left side of the copy input and add an attribute wrangle node on the right side of the copy input.

Vex code might look something like this...

if (@ptnum == 7) {
	v@P.x += 10;
	}

5 hours ago, Atom said:

To add thickness to a curve follow it up with a PolyExtrude. Remember to turn on Back.

Splitting can be done with a Delete node use a Merge to add things back together.

After an extrude node, I have a delete node followed by a merge node.  What settings in the delete node are capable of doing a edge split; I've played with the node settings and could not come up with anything ?

You can't insert a edge split in a extruded Nurbs curve even if the curve has convert mesh to polygons toggled on ?

Edited by Arthur Spooner

2 hours ago, Atom said:

You can move a copy independent of other copies by adding a transform node and stamping Location/Rotation based upon a point number. So add a transform node on the left side of the copy input and add an attribute wrangle node on the right side of the copy input.

Vex code might look something like this...

if (@ptnum == 7) {
	v@P.x += 10;
	}

In other words, if the number of points on the mesh are equal to 7, then move strictly the one mesh, 10 units on X; Am I understanding this correct ? 

No, that means on the 8th point (zero counts as a point) you are copying to use this alternate P.x value. So you will only see an affect if you supply at least 8 points to the right input of the Copy sop.

Splitting can be done with the delete node.  The image is only a segment of the entire tree, after the extrude, which extrudes the curve, I inserted a delete node, followed by a merge node, then comes polyextrude.  My mesh before inserting the delete & merge node was good, now the mesh became a jargon of a mess :( ?

How can I insert a edge loop in a, extruded NURBS curve before the mesh is polyExtruded which turns the mesh to polygons as seen in the segment of the image ?

poritionHoudiniTree.png

Edited by Arthur Spooner

Hey Arthur,

for example, you have a MERGE node, with only one input (only one node connected the input ), when a merge node is for "gathering" 2 or more "things" together.

So as sreckoM suggested, you'll gain time learning the basics via some tutorial videos.