Image Based Stained Glass Shatter

Hello everyone,

I recently have come up with an idea for a project which involves a stained glass window shattering into pieces.

I was wondering if you could suggest me the best ways to approach it.

The idea is that the bird from the window is going to break into pieces, move forward and freeze in the air and them break into finer pieces. I attached a concept art image. 
And the effect I am looking for was inspired by Young Sherlock Holmes film from 1985 in the scene with Stained Glass Knight - 1:08 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKb61j8P4fU).

The stained glass design will be created by me so I can also create alpha mask for it to use with a TRACE SOP to create the geometry. 

concept_art_02.png

Sounds like a lovely shot.

All I can suggest is to take it step by step. First with low rez proxies and lock your camera down, maybe taking inspiration from a movie shot you like. Then refine the animation. Use that for a velocity basis maybe, advecting. I would swap out the medium sized pieces for the smaller clusters on the frame they're exploding. All the while working on the shaders and lighting setup with a smaller scene.

Generic advice, maybe, hopefully helpful.