Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

archoudini

selecting inside/outside primitives

Hi All,

I am a maya user and I have recently started learning Houdini and was looking for a procedural way of selecting inside or outward faces of for say this glass geometry. 

thanks

Selection.jpg

The group SOP does have an option to group primitives by normal relative to another object (or the object itself). Just drop down a group SOP and then go to the normal tab, click enable and in the 'backface from' field select the reference object (in the case of the glass, if the geometry is centered, you can select the object itself)... I hope that makes some kind of sense

EDIT: Of course, if you can, it might make more sense to create the geometry in a procedural way and then you can generate your groups as you go, for example if the glass was created from an extruded tube, the PolyExtrude SOP allows you the group the extruded faces... This of course doesn't cover the event when you've been given a finished geo by some other bod that you've got the wrap your head around :o)

Edited by friedasparagus

34 minutes ago, friedasparagus said:

The group SOP does have an option to group primitives by normal relative to another object (or the object itself). Just drop down a group SOP and then go to the normal tab, click enable and in the 'backface from' field select the reference object (in the case of the glass, if the geometry is centered, you can select the object itself)... I hope that makes some kind of sense

EDIT: Of course, if you can, it might make more sense to create the geometry in a procedural way and then you can generate your groups as you go, for example if the glass was created from an extruded tube, the PolyExtrude SOP allows you the group the extruded faces... This of course doesn't cover the event when you've been given a finished geo by some other bod that you've got the wrap your head around :o)

thanks Henry, "backface from" option is what i was looking for :)

51 minutes ago, friedasparagus said:

1 hour ago, f1480187 said:

No general way. Try select points by bounding object created with Shrinkwrap SOP. Then convert point group to primitives.

select_inside.png

select_inside.hipnc

thanks F1 for the hip file....  select by bound option also worked :)