Cloth Simulation for Crowds

RyanReignRuiz

Hello,

Does anyone have a solution for creating dynamic cloth simulation for crowds?

For instance, a crowd running with flag poles using a prop following the crowd agent layering method?

If someone can accomplish a dynamic cloth asset with either .abc cache file or houdini cloth for crowds I would

love to hear your technique.

I have included: flagTest.abc (nCloth flag animation on pole), screenshot showing example method for using using .abc assets for crowds, tutorial for agent layering method for crowds, and tutorial for constraining houdini cloth.

Can anyone manage to get flagTest.abc be used by the biped character 2 for Houdini crowds?

Thanks!

crowdCloth2.png

flagTest.abc

Edited by RyanReignRuiz

If the end result you want is the same as the last image in your post,with all the flags having the same orientation, then just attach the alembic as prop via the layering. Once it's output, just add a timeshift on with an expression to shift the flag sim around so each flag gets a different chunk of animation.

kf

hmm...no i was just guessing. I just did something similar with Golaem. Can you put the file up with the attempt, so I can take a look at it? We are probably talking about two things. Using an alembic file over time, and a cloth sim.

kf

• 2 weeks later...

this may be the solution:  http://archive.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.5/crowds/interaction

Advanced: simulation on top of agents

• If you want to create secondary simulation (for example, simulated clothing) on top of agent geometry, currently you must unpack the agent geometry.

• You can use VEX or Python functions to calculate the positions of agent body parts (for example, if you want to generate particles flowing from the top of agent heads) from the agent attributes. You can see an example of this in this example scene file:

$HH/Help/files/joint_positions.hip.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I am trying to get this working but I don't know enough Houdini to get a working scene.

I have some agents, from the Stadium preset.

I have used the python script from the jointPositions.hip to isolate the hand position of some of those agents.

So, now I have 20 or so points waving around in space, where the agent's hands are.

I want to loop through each of those points, adding a cloth object each time.

Can that be done in a for-each loop?

Thanks for any advice.

stadiumPreset_v002.hipnc