UV(W) coordinates (in the Ray SOP, Refine SOP etc.)

ikoon

Please, have you seen a good tutorial (or pdf) about the Houdini model UV(W)s used by the Ray SOP, Refine SOP etc.?

For example I would like to use the "hitprimuv" from the RAY SOP (or xyzdist vex function), but I dont have elementary knowledge about the UVs :(
Also, for example on the Polygon Box, there seems to be no "V" when I try to use Refine SOP.
And what about deforming objects and their UVs?

I am a newbie so sorry for this confused question. Please, where should I start to get into the UVs?

Edited by ikoon
to define it better

The UVs these things use intrinsic face UVs (as opposed to a normal texture UV map)

But I second this, if someone knows on a lower level how they are precisely calculated, I would be interested in that as well. (I do know how you can use them with a primuv function for instance) but not really how they are calculated (especially in the case of nGons)

Edited by acey195
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to visualize those intristic UVs with a Visualize SOP or with scene visualizers, but I did not succeed :-/

Could anybody please create a setup, that visualizes those UVs? Then we could experiment and understand it better, how those UVs behave?

here is simple example of visualizing primuvs for polygons and from that is quite obvious how they are calculated (they slightly differ for tri, quad, n-gons)

for curves and NURBS primitives they logically match the u and v directions

vis_primuv.hip

Edited by anim
  • Like 2