Draw Curves Like After Effects?

Atom

Hi All,

In After Effects I can click to drop down non-bezier points forming straight lines in a mask/curve and while still drawing the same curve I can drag click to create bezier handles on the new point making that portion of the line a curved segment. I am trying to emulate that workflow in Houdini.

Is there a way to draw a curve in Houdini so some of the points are straight lines and some are curved?

You don't - essentially Houdini needs a new Curve tool that is artistically friendly - you can do it with a lot of extra points - but I would create it in another package and import it.

Well you could do this with NURBS curves, you just have to have (NurbsOrder-2) extra points on both ends of each straight segment. (so 2 vertices for Order 3) sometimes called a "knot"

Granted, editing this by hand would not be very straightforward either, but if you were planning to create a more complex editing tool, it would be something you could do.

houdini can draw that sort of curves in channel editor, question is how to bring that data onto points.

maybe point SOP using x position from channels $F and y position from channels value, all referencing point numbers

Edited by yesyes