CG Short film, WIP

bandini

I'm creating a short design/vfx film about the birth of Venus. The film will be divided into three acts. Act 1, the discarded part of Uranus cast into the ocean. Act 2, Venus forms from sea foam. Act 3, rising from the water. It will be a highly stylized and a creative interpretation of the story. Almost all of the film will be done in Houdini, mostly by myself. Character animation will be done in Maya, but rendered in Houdini, as well. As I'm nearing completion on Act 1, I'm going to start posting WIP shots here and little R&D tests.

So, to start, here are the first two shots. 100% Houdini, except for the background sky plate. Composited in Nuke.

• Like 9

Success in texturing a solid smoke sim with a bitmap texture and no texture stretching. Not 100% happy with this, but it is a proof of concept. More work to do, as I'd like the texture to deform more with the smoke.

Not sure if I'm the first person to do this or use the technique I'm using. If anyone knows other examples of this, let me know.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A couple new shots. These were beasts to get done on my own. Could be better in many ways, but I've already put a ridiculous amount of time in them and need to move on to other shots. It would be good to hear some comments, though, about ways to improve them, so I can do better next time!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bandini said:

It would be good to hear some comments, though, about ways to improve them, so I can do better next time!

Of course looks great! Critical feedback is that it would be more interesting if the meteor was falling apart, shedding rock, and if there was the super heat wave of air in front removing the layers of cloud.