OpenCL Wrangle SOP: Geometry Manipulation on the GPU using OpenCL

animatrix

hey yunus,

nice one!
still - isn´t your example a rather unfair comparison between ocl and vex since its not the same basic setup? judging from the picture it seems that in the vex-version you are doing the neighbour lookup inside the loop while in opencl it is outside the loop.
i just did a quick test and while ocl is much faster indeed (around 15 times) i´m far off getting the same speedup you have. on the other hand, i ran the test on a laptop with a fairly old gpu and 15 times is still a lot faster!

petz

opencl_smooth.hipnc

Edited by petz
  • Like 2

I compared that OpenCL smooth against Smooth SOP on 1000x1000 grid on the the Xeon E3 1650 v3 vs Nvidia GTX760 and speed up is really big. It depends on the size of the data set.

Only issue is on the systems without GPU (OpenCL support) or when there is not enough GPU RAM.

petz: If you set dopnet to Timeless and on the Dop Object turn on Solve on Creation Frame it will be solved for current frame so you don't have to do Timeshift to next frame (but Timeshift is still useful to remove time dependency).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, petz said:

hey yunus,

nice one!
still - isn´t your example a rather unfair comparison between ocl and vex since its not the same basic setup? judging from the picture it seems that in the vex-version you are doing the neighbour lookup inside the loop while in opencl it is outside the loop.
i just did a quick test and while ocl is much faster indeed (around 15 times) i´m far off getting the same speedup you have. on the other hand, i ran the test on a laptop with a fairly old gpu and 15 times is still a lot faster!

petz

Good point Chris. I did the neighbour lookup outside for OpenCL because there is no other way to my knowledge. I didn't think of doing the same in VEX as an optimization. This new change made OpenCL ~30x faster as opposed to 124x faster on my PC.

On a similar topic, is there a way to make a DOPnet truly time independent? I think it's rather limiting not to be able to use a DOPnet as a time-independent SOP operation.

Only way I could think of is by using TimeShift and pushing a literal frame value when the current frame is changed via a callback but this seems very hacky and not robust to me.

Edited by pusat

On 15.6.2016 at 4:00 PM, pusat said:

On a similar topic, is there a way to make a DOPnet truly time independent? I think it's rather limiting not to be able to use a DOPnet as a time-independent SOP operation.

apart from using timeshift, i don´t think there is much you can do, at least not as far as i know...

I understand. But if you use anything frame related in Timeshift then it also becomes time dependent. If you hard code the field, then you can't say the current frame or the next frame as it will have to be changed when the current frame is changed.

Timeless option should make the DOPnet truly time independent. Otherwise it's not possible to replicate it I think.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi pusat,

I'm not a programmer but i'm very interesting in opencl, can you enlighten me something about this?

in houdini\ocl\sim\analysis.cl there is some code I'm not surely understand

__kernel void
curlAligned(__global const float *u,
            __global const float *v,
            __global const float *w,
            __global float *x,
            __global float *y,
            __global float *z,
            const float inv2dx, const float inv2dy, const float inv2dz,
            uint offset, const uint ystride, const uint zstride)
{
    const size_t idx = offset + get_global_id(0) +
                                get_global_id(1) * ystride +
                                get_global_id(2) * zstride;

float dwdy = dudxAligned(w, idx, ystride, inv2dy);

float dvdz = dudxAligned(v, idx, zstride, inv2dz);

float dudz = dudxAligned(u, idx, zstride, inv2dz);

float dwdx = dudxAligned(w, idx, 1, inv2dx);

float dvdx = dudxAligned(v, idx, 1, inv2dx);

float dudy = dudxAligned(u, idx, ystride, inv2dy);

x[idx] = dwdy - dvdz;
    y[idx] = dudz - dwdx;
    z[idx] = dvdx - dudy;
}

will you please explain something for us?

1, what is *u *v *w *z *y *z, or what's different between *u *v *w and *x *y *z;

2,what's inv2dx and ystride, why don't need xstride;

3,how do the idx compute out,what's the offset doing;

thank you very very much!

Edited by luoqiulin