how to create a round bevel beetween 2 curves ?

sebkaine

Hi guys,

I have 2 nurbs circle, i would like to connect them to create a nurbs patch.

But i would like to create a circular bevel surface no a straight loft.

I have try fillet / polybridge / skin without success ... any hint would be great ?

Thanks for your lights !

Cheers 

E

round_bevel_beetween_2_curves.hiplc

surface_fillet.jpg

Edited by sebkaine

Thanks for your help Marc ! :)

But it looks that both the rail and sweep doesn't do exactly what i want ?

- the rail need a cross section and a rail

- the sweep also need a cross section and a backbone

i don't want to create the rail section, i just want to pick the 2 profile curves loft them, but instead of a straight loft it create a rounded bevel.

this is a classic feature for nurbs modeling, but maybe what sound trivial at first is not directly doable in H ?

Or maybe a i have miss something ?

Cheers 

E

ps : i have attach a maya screenshot to describe what i want 

fillet.jpg

Edited by sebkaine

Yeah the rails Sop is definitely what you want. The only difference being that you define your loft curve outside of the operation. So it's not a 1:1 relationship, however it works well I think. I like the ability to feed anything in there as the cross section.

rails.jpeg

Thanks a lot for all your answers guys ! :)

@Aaron >

The problem with this technics is that you manually layout your curves to skin them.

The round bevel tool should allow you to obtain a perfectly accurate round bevel , in my exemple it should be a perfect quarter of circle.

@Cyril >

Thanks cyril that's interesting to see the polybridge use correctly ! but again i don't think it's good enough because you setup the curvature manually with the magnitude parameter.

I don't want an approximate bevel , but a perfect circular bevel like the ones you would fine in alias or rhino.

@Marc >

Thanks Marc but would it be possible to share the hip in order to see if it's accurate or not ?

I have suceed to get what i want with a revolve tool. i'm sure the bevel is perfectly round , but i am still curious to know if this kind of shape can be done 

directly beetween only 2 profile curves, where you get a clean nurbs rounded patch beetween the 2

To be more specific the tool i'm searching is :

- select 2 profile curves 

- automatically create a bevel beetween the 2

- then let you define the bevel aspect : round concave / round convex / straight / custom aspect draw from a spline ramp

Cheers 

E

revolve.jpg

revolve.hiplc

Edited by sebkaine

i attach a hip with all method we have describe , for the moment only the revolve looks to be accurate ?

but i haven't find yet a good enough tool at the moment to create an accurate bevel patch from 2 profile curves in H 

methods.hiplc

Edited by sebkaine

• 1 month later...

This thread got me playing around with the Rails SOP a bit, and I noticed an interesting little quirk - if you draw a curve and use the Mirror SOP with the keep original option to get the second rail then the Rails SOP goes nuts, so you need to use Copy or Duplicate with -1 scale in the mirror axis as Marc did in the screencap he posted. Not a huge deal, but I'd be interested to know why it's so fussy about that. 

Edited by jrockstad
Clarification