[SOLVED]PolyExtrude Like Bevel Profile In Blender?

Atom

Hi All,

I have a font object and I want to extrude it using the shape of a curve to create a custom extrusion look. I have dropped down a curve and connected it to the second input of the PolyExtrude node but no matter how I move the points of the curve around, no useful extrusion is ever produced using this technique.Untitled-2.jpg

Is there a way to emulate Blenders method for profile beveling in Houdini?Untitled-1.jpg

ap_extrude_font_profile_issue.hipnc.hiplc

Edited by Atom

depending on what extrusion you're after, this method might not be what you need, or what you think it is.

Don't think of it as a "profile" of extrusion, it is a spine of extrusion, which is very different.

with the curve you can see in the picture, a profil would give you beveled font (like the 123 on the right), but the same curve used as a spine gives you the 123 on the left.

that's just to (try to) clarify the polyextrude node, now about how to recreate the profil beveling of blender or max, I would need to search too, so I'll let more advanced users help you.

spine.jpg

Edited by 6ril

I seen the problem, and it makes me think that may be, you should build the side first, then cap.
Like a sweep of your profile along the font (un-extruded font), to get the sides. Then cap the front and back.

But, to be honest, after a quick test, the sweep is making me loose my nerves. It works, but there's some clean up to do on the font first.

I'm now curious to see if there's a clean way to do this in H.

• 4 years later...

Am alone to think the Sidefx Polyextrude could be improved? Here, it was on a planar shape but  putting down a full complex networks to bevel pieces of a voronoid fractured relatively simple geo, gets me wonders.

I guess i missed something? And the custom curve profil input, i don't know but itùs realyl a fight for such a basic but essential operattion. Or am i unlucky with my with my model or so?

On 15/07/2016 at 1:07 AM, 6ril said:

that simple :D  cheers nico.

pbevelhave