Hi everyone,

I am trying to create flower blooming animation in Houdini. There are five variety of flowers with different shapes. 

What would be the best approach to create such a animation?

I am looking to animate something like this : 

• 5 weeks later...

Create the petals as simple flat geo with enough divisions to deform well, probably made out of cards with alpha mapped textures. Rig, either with bones or wires to create unfolding effect. Add secondary deformers to create bends and warp around an arc. Copy and align into place. A lot of hand-done animation for something like this. Don't expect some fancy procedural solution to this. Maybe there is one, but this is how I have done this in the past.

• Like 1

Thank you Adam for your reply! I have already rigged the petals using wires and animated them but the animation still does't feel organic and irregular. I guess, as you mentioned, still need to work a lot animation. 

I had a second thought to add soft body to petals, although I am not very familiar with soft bodies in Houdini. 

Sure, I guess if you wanted to add some more motion to it you could use cloth, and set a target state for the solver. I think you would find this very hard to control, but worth a try. You could use CHOPS to create some lag to make the animation a little more natural feeling, but, I think most of it will be done by working really hard on your keyframes.

• Like 1