simple cloth tearing for fun

Graeme

Hi there!! I have been using odforce for a while now, but this is my first post! I have just been playing with cloth tearing using the SOP Solver to calculate stress by analysing the distance between points and removing them based on a threshold. Just did it for fun! Any thoughts, comments or opinions would be great! Or maybe it will help someone... 

HIP file is attached.

cheers

G

stressTest_GraemePhillips.hipnc

Edited by Graeme
Because I can
  • Like 2

I didn´t check your file yet, but the test looks like a very nice start.

I would like to know what´s the difference on speed between "nearpoint" and a point cloud system. That could be a very important factor for an optimized tool, since your scene is kinda slowish in my system.

At some point I think any system for this kind of effect should have some sort of complement at shading time to account for small strands on ripped areas.

Edited by Netvudu

On 7/21/2016 at 8:49 PM, Netvudu said:

I would like to know what´s the difference on speed between "nearpoint" and a point cloud system. That could be a very important factor for an optimized tool, since your scene is kinda slowish in my system.

At some point I think any system for this kind of effect should have some sort of complement at shading time to account for small strands on ripped areas.

Thanks for your comments! I think it is currently really slow because I turned the collision steps up way too far. I wanted nice self interaction, but it is running way to slow as a result. It would be interesting to try the pcopen method though, I might give that a shot.

cheers.

G

On 2016-07-21 at 6:49 AM, Netvudu said:

nearpoint is just a shortcut, not a different implementation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Farmfield said:

Whatever else we conclude, we at least know you know how to properly name parameters! :D

ha that was my cheeky celebration at about 1am when it finally worked. :D