How do i Re-time /Slowdown A pyro Nuke explosion

arkahtek

Hey guys after my last post on asking for help on how to up -res a pyro sim i decided to rebuild it from scratch with higher resolution from advice here on the forum. Now i'm trying to retime the sim to slow down the nuke explosion. I tried time scale  but it changes the look of the sim. I've never used Time shift or Time blend nodes. I understand that using these nodes does NOT change the look of your sim, which is what i want. I Also caches out _$F.bgeo.sc  files from the sim. I've read you can slow down cached files as well some where here on this forum. If that option is feasible how do i go about slowing that down.  Can someone please explain to me where in the autodop network from the screenshot below i would put those nodes and at what setting i should start with. Thanks

PYRO NUKE SCREENSHOT.png

Edited by arkahtek

I have heard that slowing down a pyro sim post sim (from cache) is like impossible (please correct me if i'm wrong). If you know before the sim that you will be playing with its speed, sim it slower (ofc more frames then to compensate) and then you can easily speed it up (and have the slow version by default).

Anyway, what you can do is try to load your cache, put down a timeblend and a time warp

Hey thanks for the reply 3dome. After i load up my cache files, where in the pyro chain would i put the time blend and time warp nodes using the screen shot above. Also if its like impossible, i don't mind doing it before i cache it. How would i go about doing that?  "sim it slower (ofc more frames then to compensate)" Can you explain this process. Thanks

Edited by arkahtek

cool i'll check these out thanks

edit i read these already..since i'm totally new to using these nodes or even Retiming anything..i really need a little more in depth explanation on how to accomplish this. i'll try to decipher the last link you sent in the post it explains the process the best ..thanks Rbowden

Edited by arkahtek

cool!! i'm going to try it now.. thanks i'll report back. if you need my files i'm happy to share it :)

hey RBowden, in the input range for the time warp node, since my original amount of frames is 1 to 48 do i put that in the input section?

Rbowden you're the freaking man!!! or woman. I really want to thank you for taking the time out to do this and make the file. my computer is kinda slow but i can see the simulation slowed down. In the time warp node i put my input as 1 to 48 like in the timeline ..then i put the output to 1 to 240. this was really a big help. and it seems simple enough. 

EDIT: Is the Flickering normal in the viewport when playing back the Retimed sim? Its not bad, but sometimes the color of my explosion change for a second then it goes back to the original color.

Edited by arkahtek

It's all in the houdini.env, you got nothing you need to add in the global environment in OS X. There's nothing in the Qlib stuff that is OS specific, it's all xml, python and otl's. Just pop this into your houdini.env and you're a go! :D

QLIB				= [ * path to qlib root folder here * ]
QOTL				= $QLIB/otls

PATH				= $QLIB;&

HOUDINI_PATH			= $QLIB;&

HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH		= $QOTL/base;$QOTL/future;$QOTL/experimental;@/otls;&
HOUDINI_TOOLBAR_PATH		= $QLIB/toolbar;@/toolbar;&
HOUDINI_GALLERY_PATH		= $QLIB/gallery;@/gallery;&
HOUDINI_SCRIPT_PATH		= $QLIB/scripts;@/scripts;&
Edited by Farmfield

Hey thank you farmfeld..where have you been man?! i redid the nuke by the way, you can see it in the pic above ..thanks for the help.. i'll copy it from here and add it to the houdini env. just to be clear i just have to open the houdini terminal and paste this in?

Edited by arkahtek

Cleveland in '86, Egypt in '93, Paleochora in 2014, lots of places. :D

Naeh, been drowning in RBD and Pyro refreshing & RnD - that's why I dove in here too, I'm gonna add the retiming to my Pyro RnD curriculum. And the Nuke looks great as a still, looking forward to see the sequence and a breakdown when it's done.

thanks man.. and that so cool. yea i'll post back here with the file when its done. hey before you go i'm trying to set this up but i get error messages when i copy and paste the stuff in the houdini terminal. i'm kinda lost here i'm trying to find the houdini.env on my mac.. tried going into ~/Library/Preferences/houdini/X.X/houdini.env but i don't see the houdini.env file in there. i'm on 15.5

Edited by arkahtek

i tried it nothing shows up in houdini  i created the .txt file like in the image below then i placed it in the houdini folder, then i opened up houdini to see if the nodes showed up..but nothing new popped in, is there another step to this or did i enter something wrong

houdini txt file screenshot.png

houdini.env screenshot.png

LOL, just take away the [* * ] stuff - just add the path. That's on me, trying to make it obvious, I made it look like something complicated, otherwise it's as it should be. :)

QLIB				= /path/to/qlib/root/folder/here/
QOTL				= $QLIB/otls

PATH				= $QLIB;&

HOUDINI_PATH			= $QLIB;&

HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH		= $QOTL/base;$QOTL/future;$QOTL/experimental;@/otls;&
HOUDINI_TOOLBAR_PATH		= $QLIB/toolbar;@/toolbar;&
HOUDINI_GALLERY_PATH		= $QLIB/gallery;@/gallery;&
HOUDINI_SCRIPT_PATH		= $QLIB/scripts;@/scripts;&

lmao ok i'll try it again.. ok i put it in..still nothing.. i feel like i'm making a very small mistake somewhere..  thats the .txt file and the second screenshot is the folder i put it in

houdini txt file.png

houdini env file.png

Edited by arkahtek