Candle Flame Effects

bayway

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice on how to achieve realistic candle flame effects. I have done the tutorial on the sidefx site and it looks really bad! Ive also worked through another older example which also looks similar!...any ideas where I should be looking?

Cheers,

Bayway

You can do it the old-school way and revolve a curve in the profile of a candle flame.

funny, i was going to say the same thing.. i remember times trying to get the perfect particle system for some kind of flame/smoke situation when sometimes the best look can come from distorted and noisy geometry with a nice shader put on it.

This technique works great for smoke as well, but you build the geometry from a nicely formed column of particles from a single point. Birth one point per frame and then connect with an Add SOP.

Sweep a Nurbs curve, skin then deform as well utilizing a similar shader that determines opacity based on surface that is highly distorted with noise in the surface shader.

Of course you can use wind POPs and it's noise to move the column of particles around as well.

I was guessing that you would want to do this as well. :)

Depending on the shot of course, have you considered using and or shooting a stock flame element and putting it on card?

On a recent feature we tried getting really complex with a simple candle flame on a candle flying through a scene and in the end I believe we used a flame on a card.