Skin Slide Deformer

Ramteen

• 1 month later...

Careful with these mistaken effects, skin is a *lot* stiffer and heavier than people think, there is barely any sliding whatsoever.

What really happens is that the muscles underneath stretch and compress and move around, then the skin does adapt to those bulges and crevices without barely any sliding.

If you want to test it by yourself try going to a butcher and let you feel the skin of a lamb, camel, cow or or other animal that has been killed recently, quite a realisation i had to that respect.

Hope it helps.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2016 at 6:17 PM, jordibares said:

Careful with these mistaken effects, skin is a *lot* stiffer and heavier than people think, there is barely any sliding whatsoever.

What really happens is that the muscles underneath stretch and compress and move around, then the skin does adapt to those bulges and crevices without barely any sliding.

If you want to test it by yourself try going to a butcher and let you feel the skin of a lamb, camel, cow or or other animal that has been killed recently, quite a realisation i had to that respect.

Hope it helps.

If you want to test try to find old grandma with thin skin.The rule about TS are talking about works perfectly.

Usually there's underlying, nicely rounded 'profile' surface, while for that all-smoothed example, a plain copy should be enough. Then there's sort of spatial query, XYZ Distance or Intersect, to store the static offset against profile surface. Deformation is stored delta against new location on profile surface. Depending on implementation, the same should be calculated for driver object, null or whatever. Method is simple and well known for ages, there are many implementations around. While in Maya, I think these spatial queries won't fit into OpenCL - VP2 optimization, so, speed is probably comparable to Houdini VOPs or Sodtimage ICE - with a lot of queries, thing is not so fast on high resolutions. However it's possible to make it lighter, by performing everything on grid of locators, where locators are driving the skin deformer.

Here is https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/34710/ Houdini equivalent of what I've called 'Deform by UV' for Softimage ICE, which utilizes UV texture for interpolation. It was popular while ago, anyway people used it mainly for modeling, as far as I know.

Simplest variance could be a plain Maya Shrink Wrap / H Ray SOP driven by some sort of cluster deformer, but not so handy for deformations around higher angles.

Edited by amm
  • Like 2