[Windows 10] hcustom.exe keeps crashing

Hi all,

I'm trying to dabble in a bit of HDK programming, however I can't seem to get off the ground:

I have an HDK 15.5.564 installation and Visual Studio 2015 (VC14 Update 3).

Upon loading up the command line tools and running 'hcustom -s geoisosurface.C' a window pops up telling me that hcustom.exe has stopped working. I use Visual Studio to debug and see if I can get a better idea of what the error is and it yields the following message:

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFAE44373F3 (ntdll.dll) in hcustom.exe: 0xC0000374: A heap has been corrupted (parameters: 0x00007FFAE448F6B0).

Anyone else encounter this problem? Is there a step in the process that I'm missing here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

First of all, try the latest daily build. If that doesn't work, try downgrading to Visual 2015 Update 1. We have *NOT* had any success with using anything past Update 1. The compiler either crashes or generates incorrect code. And even on Update 1, we've run into cases where the generated code is 3x slower than VS2012. If it wasn't for C++11 features, I would have went back to VS2012.

• 2 months later...

We have no issues building (and running vs 15.5) HDK plugins using vs 2015 update 3. We do not use hcustom, however. Never encountered a compiler crash while building an HDK plugin using vs 2015 update 3 (SOP/COP/ROP/VEX/VOP) either.

Edited by ttvd

Guest nodeway
17 hours ago, ttvd said:

We have no issues building (and running vs 15.5) HDK plugins using vs 2015 update 3. We do not use hcustom, however. Never encountered a compiler crash while building an HDK plugin using vs 2015 update 3 (SOP/COP/ROP/VEX/VOP) either.

I used VS way and hcustom way, and never had any errors on update 1,2 or 3.

Guest nodeway

You can try VS way. @ttvdhave some examples of using CMake to generate project files for VS on his Github. It's very easy to modify them to be used in two file projects (one *.h and one *.cpp), even if you are not familiar with CMake. In linked example it looks that you only need to replace lines 198 and 202 with the file names you want to compile + set HFS variable (ideally before line 34) that will point to Houdini instalation directory and use CMake to generate project files with it.

See if this helps.

Edited by nodeway

4 minutes ago, nodeway said:

You can try VS way. @ttvdhave some examples of using CMake to generate project files for VS on his Github. It's very easy to modify them to be used in two file projects (one *.h and one *.cpp), even if you are not familiar with CMake. In linked example it looks that you only need to replace lines 198 and 202 with the file names you want to compile + set HFS variable that will point to Houdini instalation directory and use CMake to generate project files with it.

See if this helps.

Thanks a lot, I'll have a try.

20 hours ago, Calven Gu said:

In Cygwin everything is ok, but in Windows command line .... nice compilation but with an interrupt of exception.

I think you are supposed to do it in Cygwin, anyways. Also, try running it in msvc 2015 x64 tools cmd line window (not sure if that will work though). Another thing you can do is, run hcustom, it has a parameter which dumps all flags, defines, etc, passed to compiler. You can then manually set up your own project using those (that's how I set up the CMake stuff mentioned above).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ttvd said:

I think you are supposed to do it in Cygwin, anyways. Also, try running it in msvc 2015 x64 tools cmd line window (not sure if that will work though). Another thing you can do is, run hcustom, it has a parameter which dumps all flags, defines, etc, passed to compiler. You can then manually set up your own project using those (that's how I set up the CMake stuff mentioned above).

I did some test just now. Dramaticlly, the problem seems occur to hcustom rather than to hcompile. The hcompile runs successfully if I set HOUDINI_CC and CFLAGS manually. I guess the hcustom program does something after hcompile running, and there are some problem in this part of code with windows cmd in my computer.  

Edited by Calven Gu

18 hours ago, ttvd said:

I prepare to set the runtime env of hcompile by a python script instead of hcustom. The only doubt is that I can't understand the meaning of an option which is callad DMAKING_DSO. There are few infos of this option in usage of CL compiler.

This option doesn't show up in the generated flags of hcustom, but it's passed to hcompile.

A little confusion of that, could you give me some suggestion ? :)

Edited by Calven Gu

-DMAKING_DSO is just a define passed to a compiler, it has to be there, so just pass it along :) There's a bunch of defines that have to be there in order for DSO to be built, check my CMakeLists.txt file.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ttvd said:

-DMAKING_DSO is just a define passed to a compiler, it has to be there, so just pass it along :) There's a bunch of defines that have to be there in order for DSO to be built, check my CMakeLists.txt file.

Oh, I found it in UT_DSOVersion header file. Now everything goes well, appreciate your kindness ! :P

Edited by Calven Gu

This still happening with the latest production build, 15.5.632?

From the journal:

Houdini 15.5.631

Fixed an issue where Houdini would fail to start under some new Windows Preview builds. Instead, we now detect the error condition that leads to this failure, display a warning message, and continue to run.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...