Houdini Boat Wake Effect

mranosa

It's no secret. With simulations like this, it is trial and error. You have more than enough information in this thread and the videos posted to make the effect that you want but, you seem to ignore it. Even Atom made a couple of hip files for you. His suggestion about separating the props and making them spin to create churn is a great idea. He didn't say anything about separating it into another simulation... You just add it in as another collision with velocity on it. Pretty simple stuff actually. 

I took a look at your file that you posted before and you have changed values in the flip solver that you obviously have no idea what they do. You seriously need to go back and learn the basics of the flip solver and read the help on what each parameter does. From taking a look at your post history on odforce, this isn't the first time you come off as demanding on wanting a hip file.

If you are looking for someone to do everything for you and give you a production file, I can tell you that it is probably not going to happen. If you want a simulation just like Graham, you should just send a message to him and ask him. You are using the same exact ship as he was using after all.

Good luck.

Edited by rbowden
  • Like 5

I didn't request a controlled  file! I flip isn't e't  ugh just said ever sengk't saynow d lning gsing  xample because si ser eeusefulness  no usefulness! 

I could't rea't controlled ch Grahamone i don't 'tber  remember  at all :(

I know whag every property does in the flip solver and i have changed them randomly because i was disappointed and tried everything! 

Another thing is that i have looked at the flip solver settings video that graham and another one by someone i don't remember :)

I want someone to tell me how to use jiff's file to reach a good looking wave wake bscause i see no usefulneess to use this way! 

The wake isn't controlled at all and the wave is too bad

I know that noone will do a production for me! 

With ur words, u mean that months with flip isn't enough. 

At the end, i asked a question if u have the answer, help please but if not don't say anything about basics!! 

I have understood atom's meaning! But my problem

isn't the trailing wave but the front wake because the trail can be easily done with pump object like boat engines!! 

I don't have the information i want if i have i will create something so please help if u can but if u can't i appreciate ur effort and thanks :)

Yeah, don't get discouraged, the problem may be the fact that my flip file is at the wrong fluid scale, that is why I mentioned it. I don't really have the time right now to rebuild it.  Sometimes you just have to start over and rebuild from scratch, I do that all the time, it is good practice. Simming at much larger bounding volumes takes more particles to cover the larger area which means longer sim times. As Ryan mentions, you have to keep practicing and simming again and again. One nice thing about starting over is you know all nodes are in their default state. Sometimes you may tweak a value that seems to have no immediate effect and move on to the next parameter. But later that wrong value might be what is causing a problem.

Edited by Atom

someone helped me (Thanks Abanoub !) 

he gave me an example file for the collision which is excellent ! The scale might have been my problem :\ ,I am not sure now , so i will see and share the reason and the file as soon i get what i want ! 

I started adding my touches to the sim :) . Hope it works !

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8x1Z3zgTaL7SW1WQ0ZlUFdzSzg/view?usp=sharing

I did a similar solution with the shelf tool . I chose my ship and made deforming collision :) really cool it creates everything and collision source is really better than creating trail and volume from scratch and it is actually the same workflow in an asset .

I think my problem with collisions before was adding the trail sop before converting to vdb ,but i don't know i will try and tell u ,again, enjoy the file !!

new start.hip

Edited by mranosa

Okay , my actual problem was creating the trail in a wrong way :D

I must have created it in the path of the vdb from polygons not the path of obj xD , so u had better create it after the vdb from polygons!

actually , choose central difference in the trail because it is more accurate (numerical methods in differential equations !) 

Edited by mranosa

Putting a trail after the vdb from polygons isn't going to do anything. If you look at the geometry spreadsheet, you will see that velocity is going to be zero across the board. The problem you are having is that you don't have any velocity on the geometry. When you bring in your boat into your static object in dops, you notice that you have a SOP path and then you are deciding to use volume sample and having the proxy volume point to your vdb. On your SOP path, you have it set to use transform2 (the movement on the boat) as reference. You should have a trailSOP after that transform set to compute velocity and then have your SOP path point to that. That is what is going to be bringing in your geometry attributes inside dops. I am attaching a modified version of your Ship Wake Sim File to show you what I mean.

Ship_Wake_Sim_RB.hip

• 2 years later...